OMC 3.0l Crack noticed after restoration

jnbhendrix

Seaman Apprentice
I am 95% done with my transom, stringer, and deck repair when I noticed my block is cracked. The engine is out of my boat and the question is should I have my cousin try and weld it or epoxy(JB Weld)?

The other day I decided to go to my cousin's and look the engine over. I knew I had a small leak of water which was usually just a few runs of water down the engine block by the exhaust manifold. I thought it was just the manifold gasket so I ordered a new one. When I got to his house and pulled the manifold I wanted to die. The *****hole who sold me this boat really has some bad karma coming to him. After doing research, come to find out this is a common thing on the 3.0l and many have had success with JB Weld. So, my plan is to either JB weld it or my cousin has anarray of welding equipment in his garage where my engine sits on the floor. He has plenty experience welding but only has welded cast iron once. I'm worried about welding that close to the cylinder head deck surface. I would like to buy 2-3 years so I can locate and find a good deal on a used re power. Since I now have a new boat structurally I would like to have a mercruiser 3.0l setup. Everything OMC is like 2x the price for parts. Any one have any thoughts if I should have my cousin weld the block or just JB weld it and see how long that will get me by.

The link to my resto

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...transom-deck-stringer-restoration-618742.html

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC 3.0l Crack noticed after restoration

Sad deal for sure! I am no expert but I feel certain that you cannot weld that close to the head gasket and not cause a problem. Even if you had the head off, I would think that you would need to have the deck surfaced after welding. You have nothing to loose trying the JB weld. I would clean the area real well, drill a small hole at each end of the crack to keep it from spreading, then chamfer the crack with a carbide dremel tool and slop on the JB weld.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC 3.0l Crack noticed after restoration

It's worth a try to see if it works.

But expect to see water in the oil in the oil if it doesn't.

Engines that crack on the outside also frequently crack on the inside.