Making the electronic shift assist work with a Mallory conversion kit

Bridar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm converting my 1989 Cobra 5.8 to breakerless ignition with a Mallory 6100M kit. I understand my ESA module won't work once the Mallory kit is installed. Is there a modification that will make the ESA compatible with the new setup or do I need to go with a different type of ESA module? If so, can anyone recommend a brand & model? Thanks

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Making the electronic shift assist work with a Mallory conversion kit

First of all, your Cobra is not an electronic shift assist unit. It uses the ESA module to stutter the ignition so that you can pull the 'fail engage' gears out of gear. If the Mallory kit is made to fit a marine distributor, they would probably have a work around to allow everything to work. If not, you may be able to use Pertronix work around.

http://www.pertronix.com/support/tips/pdf/diodefix.pdf

Bridar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Boom. I know how the ESA module works, how to test & adjust the interrupt switch, over stroke switch & shift linkage but the existing ESA module just stalls the engine when activated. I suspect it may have been faulty prior installing this breakerless conversion kit, as it was hard shifting it out of gear then. If I have to replace the module, is there a module that doesn't require the diode fix?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

........ is there a module that doesn't require the diode fix?

Well Bridar, that question is above my pay grade, but I really do not think so,

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Boom. I know how the ESA module works, how to test & adjust the interrupt switch, over stroke switch & shift linkage but the existing ESA module just stalls the engine when activated. I suspect it may have been faulty prior installing this breakerless conversion kit, as it was hard shifting it out of gear then. If I have to replace the module, is there a module that doesn't require the diode fix?

CDI makes a module that works with electronic ignition. I'm not sure which one you need, though. You may have to call them.

CDI Electronics | Outboard Motor Parts | Ignitions | Marine Engine Diagnostic System | Stators | Ignition Packs | Regulators | Coils | Wiring Harnesses

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I would go with the CDI unit. I think the 123-9898P is the Pertronix or other conversion one, but should check with them.
I wouldn't recommend that diode fix.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

+++1 on the CDI ESA. I would never do the diode fix either.

Bridar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just spoke to the technical wizards at CDI. They confirmed that the 123-9898-P module will work with my 5.8 Cobra. They also said that they now have an even more robust version (P/N 123-9800) that would also work. The latter version has an extra ground tracing. Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction!

lenko

Cadet

I just spoke to the technical wizards at CDI. They confirmed that the 123-9898-P module will work with my 5.8 Cobra. They also said that they now have an even more robust version (P/N 123-9800) that would also work. The latter version has an extra ground tracing. Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction!

How did the 123-9800 work out as I just ordered one and want to get rid of the Petronix diode fix I have been using for the last dozen years? I am upgrading from the CDI 123-9898-8.

Len K

Bridar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How did the 123-9800 work out as I just ordered one and want to get rid of the Petronix diode fix I have been using for the last dozen years? I am upgrading from the CDI 123-9898-8.

Len K

My local dealer didn't have the newer 123-9800 module so I went with a 123-9898 module. It worked perfectly and my Cobra now shifts properly again. The module is working with the stock distributor but with a Mallory breakerless conversion kit, along with an aftermarket ballast resistor.

lenko

Cadet

My local dealer didn't have the newer 123-9800 module so I went with a 123-9898 module. It worked perfectly and my Cobra now shifts properly again. The module is working with the stock distributor but with a Mallory breakerless conversion kit, along with an aftermarket ballast resistor.

Thanks for the response. I'm looking forward to trying the new 123-9800, I've got a couple of Teleflex Xtreme cables coming as well. I replaced the shift cable last year and got my shift to work pretty good, but this summer I experienced it difficult coming out of reverse, 1987 OMC Cobra 5.0 2150 Bayliner Bow Rider. I have an OMC Manual and I have pored over the Stuart Hastings information and look forward to the new items to install. I have been fighting with this shift since they warrantied the cables a year or so after I bought the boat in 1987. My engine is the APARY model but the shift arm is the newer type with the angled slot at the top like the GD Thru ME models. Possibly this was replaced when it was warrantied back in 1988 or 1989 along with the cables. Prior to that I think it shifted pretty good, but I went along with the recall and replacement. Other than that the Cobra has been a great system. Here's hoping I can get this adjusted as meticulously as some indicate they have.