Fuel Pump? 89 Bayliner 1950 Capri 5.0 OMC

papichuloy2k

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings,

I am back again seeking for help. I have a 89 bayliner 1950, 5.0 Cobra OMC that while I was in the lake with the family on board, the engine sputtered and die. I started up again and moved a little and died. It was a long day and managed to use the oars to reach shore. I think is the fuel pump, but Seloc does not specify where is located. It in the gas tank? Also, one very knowlegeable member of this forum said in the past to change fuel filters (I have not done it yet, but I will this time) and to change the one NEXT to the carburator. Seloc also refers to a fuel filter next to the carb (GM Rochester) but I cannot find it. The engine is a GM or Chevy 5.0.

NOTE: Prior to our journey to the lake, I noticed that this time, the boat did not start right up. It just cranked. So, I pour a little fuel into the carburator and started right up and ran for a hile while connected to the garden hose. I also started to notice a hard start after the boat sit for a while and in addition to the failure on the lake yesterday, I am blaming the fuel pump (no record as to when was replaced by previous owner). Before, the last three trips to the lake, the boat started at the first try. Fuel has been mix accordingly with Stabil izer since I got it last year.

My questions are:

How can I test to see if the failure is b/c the fuel pump. I am in a tight budget and cannot afford to but a fuel pressure gauge.
Where is the fuel pump located?
Any step-by-step as to how to replace it?
I read in previous posts that the diaphragm has to be replace, any suggestions?

And as usual, I thank all your responses in advance and all the knowledge that you experts share with us noobs.
Here are the pictures of the engine.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Fuel Pump? 89 Bayliner 1950 Capri 5.0 OMC

2nd pic,follow that shiny metal line to the pump. It will be there bolted to the block. And change that fuel line going to the filter with a coast guard approved line.
Grub

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You need this...OMC Manual.zip

It covers your motor and drive and is a safe download. Way better than the Seloc...

papichuloy2k

Seaman Apprentice

Many thanks. I will follow that shiny line to fuel pump as suggested. I hope to get it done before summer is over. The boat is our only distraction and my kids did so good in school that deserve to have a nice summer. They were helping me row and we made it safely to the shore where a few people offered to help once they reached the line we threw. It could've be worst had we've been on the river or further away from the dock.
Anyway, thanks for the response and sorry for the typos. I am using my phone but I want to thank you all for the quick and knowledgeable turn around.

Last edited:

papichuloy2k

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you Grub, I'll make sure I'll read it first....Gotta love Iboats and its forum members!

papichuloy2k

Seaman Apprentice

2nd pic,follow that shiny metal line to the pump. It will be there bolted to the block. And change that fuel line going to the filter with a coast guard approved line.
Grub

Grub,
Are you referring to the yellowish fuel line or the shiny one that must ne Coast Guard approved? Also, is there any steps to test this fuel pump to see if it is the cause of the problem?

And for the diaphragm? Any tricks to replace or clean?

Should I go for an electric pump? If so, is there any step by step that I must follow for the conversion from mechanicalfuel pump to electric?
Thanks,

~Pap

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You can install an electric fuel pump but it needs to be a MARINE grade pump.
Adding an automotive pump is like adding a bomb to your motor.
It needs to be wired corectly and is usually more expensive than the OEM one.
Don't use an auto fuel pump either.
Remove the filter on the bottom left and check for water.
There is a filter "inside" the carb.Usually it's not the problem.
To test the pump? Unhook the metal line to the carb.
Then stick it in a bottle or jug.
Turn the motor over and see if it pumps gas into the bottle.
No replacement for the diaphram.

papichuloy2k

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, now I see why I couldn't find the filter because it is inside the carburator. I compared prices and electric fuel pumps are way more expensives, so I am sticking to mechanical.

I am going to test it, but by the way it looks the old fuel pump, it looks like it is due for replacement anyways. And is an added piece of mind. It was frightening rowing to the shore with the kids aboard. Luckily, we were not on the river this time.

I definitively using only marine grade products as I read about the differences in marine vs automotive.

Thanks again,

~Pap

papichuloy2k

Seaman Apprentice

I just found the cause of the premature failure of the fuel pump. One of the tubing from the fuel pump to the carburator was twisted or had a kink hence the additional stress on the fuel pump. Like it was advised to me, I will replace it with a Coast Guard approved fuel line. Here is the picture: