omc exhaust bellows

john cole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just how much effect does the exhaust bellows have on the performance of a boat, i have a 4.3 liter engine with the OMC outdrive, i found my bellows was shot and replaced it. i took the boat for a short test drive and it seemed like i had alittle more pep and possible more speed. does this sound right or just my wishful thinking?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: omc exhaust bellows

IF??? The old bellows was collapsed and blocking the exhaust?? Then a new one would make a difference.

Bondo

Staff member

just how much effect does the exhaust bellows have on the performance of a boat, i have a 4.3 liter engine with the OMC outdrive, i found my bellows was shot and replaced it. i took the boat for a short test drive and it seemed like i had alittle more pep and possible more speed. does this sound right or just my wishful thinking?

Ayuh,.... That'd be My guess,...

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

The bellows will direct the exhaust gases through the prop leaving clean water for the prop to bite into.

john cole

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry for not replying sooner, but your replies seem to be spot on. Yes the bellows had come loose from the out drive and and was getting folded up when the out drive was down and the clean water makes perfect sense.

thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When you are on plane, the exhaust bellows are completely out of the water, so a torn bellows would have zero affect on making the water hitting the prop cleaner.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

My OMG 460 King Cobra ran for about 15 years with NO exhaust bellows installed. I installed one and couldn't tell any difference.

seemed like i had alittle more pep and possible more speed. does this sound right or just my wishful thinking?

Probably the placebo effect.....;)

john cole

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, i was thinking more of the bellows being "folded up" and choking my exhaust? or if the bellows pointing down in the water causing alot of extra "dirty" water in front of the out drive. but either way wishful thinking, placebo effect, it's fixed back to the way it was designed to be. now onto the the ignition system :)