Need help bad! OMC master tech in MN???

Tloc107

Recruit
I am in need of some help. I have a 89 Donzi Z21 with a 460 King Cobra motor and OMC out drive. Having 2 main issues.

First is I was getting boat up on plane and was fine. Three quarters up on plane and it was like someone kicked shifter into neutral. Boat fell off plane and revved hi like in neutral. Then wouldn't go forward or backwards.

I brought it to Merc tech I know. He doesn't like working on OMC and is not as familiar. Lost all summer with it due to this. After he had boat for a couple months he claims he thinks its a shift cable??? What a waste! I would think most techs could confirm that a 100% after looking at it for a hour at most trouble shooting it?

Also boat kills in reverse and stumbles hard but if I hold throttle wide open it will sometimes clear out and be fine. Think maybe interrupter switch maybe? I bumped idle from 600 rpms to like 800-900rpms. Which I know is not good or ideal but seemed to work a little better.

Could you offer any opinions or point me in the right direction if I were to do some testing and let you know results. I am no marine tech but can usually hold my own with most repairs with some guidance.

Also wondering best resources for parts for these old motors? Thank you so very much for any input! SAD & DESPERATE! Missing all summer sucks...

Thanks in advance guys!

Tloc107

Recruit
Re: Need help bad! OMC master tech in MN???

Weak no replies so gotta bump it. Come on know body???

Bondo

Staff member

I am in need of some help. I have a 89 Donzi Z21 with a 460 King Cobra motor and OMC out drive. Having 2 main issues.

First is I was getting boat up on plane and was fine. Three quarters up on plane and it was like someone kicked shifter into neutral. Boat fell off plane and revved hi like in neutral. Then wouldn't go forward or backwards.

I brought it to Merc tech I know. He doesn't like working on OMC and is not as familiar. Lost all summer with it due to this. After he had boat for a couple months he claims he thinks its a shift cable??? What a waste! I would think most techs could confirm that a 100% after looking at it for a hour at most trouble shooting it?

Also boat kills in reverse and stumbles hard but if I hold throttle wide open it will sometimes clear out and be fine. Think maybe interrupter switch maybe? I bumped idle from 600 rpms to like 800-900rpms. Which I know is not good or ideal but seemed to work a little better.

Could you offer any opinions or point me in the right direction if I were to do some testing and let you know results. I am no marine tech but can usually hold my own with most repairs with some guidance.

Also wondering best resources for parts for these old motors? Thank you so very much for any input! SAD & DESPERATE! Missing all summer sucks...

Thanks in advance guys!

Ayuh,.... Unfortunately, the 460/ King Cobra driveline is pretty much a Dead horse,....

Parts are nearly non-existent, 'n as you've found, Nobody'll work on 'em,...

I'd Pull the drive, 'n see if it can be shifted, manually,...
If so, yer Bud is probably Right,...
If not,...??.... there Ain't no parts for it, so maybe junk it all, 'n drop in a BBC/ Mercruiser into the hull...

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

invest in a factory manual for your model.
The boat shouldn't have any shift interrupter as far as I know - it should be a cone clutch drive.

Tloc107

Recruit

Mine has a dog clutch not cone clutch like Volvo as far as I know. I rented a Clymer manual from the library tonight being I can't find anything else especially the factory manual. Any leads on manuals or parts new or used? Thanks

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

yeah, I guess the 89 460 was a dog clutch drive. I did not know.

outboardbooks.com has new, factory OMC manuals. eBay about the only other source.
get the manual that says it covers 460AMLMED and 460APRMED, or all Cobras "MED"

shop.evinrude.com is where you can look up part numbers, pricing and availability.