1987 omc 2.3 external resistor wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottaxeman

Cadet
I am new here, so please bare with me. I have a 2.3 omc 1987 . My question is , can any one tell me were the external resistor wire is on points ignition set up

scottaxeman

Cadet
Re: 1987 omc 2.3 external resistor wire

The reason I am asking ,, I trying to figure out why I have no fire fom coil . I put a test lite on the hot side of coil weith ignition on and it has power, I replaced points ,condenser,and coil and it ran fine,but third time out to lake i have no fire again. Any help would be great for my nervs.

scottaxeman

Cadet

Hey thanks for reply , i just became a member today. Again thanks......

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So, what exactly is the issue?

-No spark at all?
-No spark when key is released from "start" to "run" position?

scottaxeman

Cadet
1987 2.3 omc coil getting hot

1987 2.3 omc coil getting hot

I have a 1987 2.3 omc cobra in a 17'Bayliner. Can anybody help tell me why the postive side of coil wires are getting warm and i am not getting any fire

scottaxeman

Cadet

I am not getting no fire from coil , and now i just found out that the pos. side of coil wires are getting warm when ignition is in the on postion . Any help wouyld be greatly appreciated.

Re: 1987 2.3 omc coil getting hot

I have a 1987 2.3 omc cobra in a 17'Bayliner. Can anybody help tell me why the postive side of coil wires are getting warm and i am not getting any fire

Not with out testing the coil resistance. The coil works by the points opening and closing so if the points are stuck closed the coil is constantly on and it will get hot (it also will not fire the plugs). Also if the coil is internally shorting to the case it will get hot. I would check the points to start with.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Because it is supposed to get hot. That's your resistance wire.

Measure the voltage at your coil with the points closed and points open. Should be around 9V with closed and 12V when open.

Have you checked your dwell with a dwell meter?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

When the key is turned,the system will supply 12v to help start the motor.
When the key is released,the voltage should drop to 9v.
Measure the voltage.
A constant 12v will burn up the coil.Making it useless.
If there is 12v all the time.You need a coil with an internal resistor.
Or fix the resistor wire.(easier to replace the coil)

scottaxeman

Cadet

Thank's to all reply's, I will test the volts today and see what i have. Something I notice, when I put the ground wire on distributor i get an ark and it causes the pos side of coil to ground out, if that makes any sense, other words if dist. wire is off my test light shows power to pos. side of coil ,hook up dist. wire test light shows no power,with key turned to on position during testing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you have the distributor cap off when you do these tests. Points closed 9V. Points open 12V.

scottaxeman

Cadet
1987 bayliner not getting fire

1987 bayliner not getting fire

I just want to thank every one for your reply's and kindness. I figured out what the problem was. I feel kinda stupid but here we go , It was the condenser wire grounding out on dist. took a little bit but found it , Yeh I no hold the comments, Any way again thanks guys.......

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 bayliner not getting fire

Re: 1987 bayliner not getting fire

Next time check your dwell with a dwell meter. You can still read it even if the engine doesn't start by just cranking it. You would have seen this right away.

You should also put this in the original thread. I will ask to have it moved.

Lgbnme

Cadet
I'd like to breath new life into this old thread hoping some of you still belong to this page. 1999 Capri 2.3l ford Motor. Having the same issue but I think I am one step further. I had an old issue where the boat would only fire while the key was in the crank position. Thanks to many of these old threads on this page I concluded it was the resistor wire (only 4 volts at the coil) so I cut it out and put in a new coil with a internal resistor. Now I'm back up to 9volts at the coil and she runs and starts great! I find however the coil now overheats and shuts down while out on the water. I swop out the coil and she runs again. I'm so frustrated I think I'm going to just put in a resistor block and an old unresisted coil and try that. What are your thoughts my wise men?

southkogs

Staff member
My thoughts are that we should start a new topic ;)

Lgbnme - please take a few minutes and review our FORUM RULES. We ask you don't post in topics over 90 days old unless you started 'em.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.