Help-89 Bayliner Cobra 5.0 Capri OMC 1950/Several questions-preventive maintenance

papichuloy2k

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I had this boat for a little while and so far it has treated me good for short rides. I am in a tight budget and my kids did good in school, so the boat is our only entertaining and quality time tool during this hot summer.

Thanks in advance for replying, and here are my questions:
What type of engine do I have in this Bayliner? The Seloc book does not specify where to find this answer and lists a GMC 5.0 302 engine and a Ford 5.0 HO. The only numbers embedded on the engine are: 0203944. I need to replace the points and condenser, and the fuel filter because I am having problems starting the boat after an hour. Also the boat stalls during idling.

Picture of the engine:

I also would like to replace the copper hull plug, but I do not know the size of it. How do I find out what type of plug to buy?

Third question, the insulation in the engine cover is falling off and is getting stuck in the flame arrestor. I would like to replace it before it catches on fire with the family in the boat. What can I use to insulate the inner walls of the engine cover?
Picture of the inner insulation liner:

And lastly, Is there a step by step guide to change the fuel filter? I have not been able to find a tutorial to do this, and honestly, I am eerie to to venture in changing the fuel filter just like that. Is the gas under pressure at the fuel filter? The fuel filter that is on it is OMC 502905 (GMC or Ford engine?) How do I depressurize it to replace the fuel filter? Thanks again and looking forward to your answers.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help-89 Bayliner Cobra 5.0 Capri OMC 1950/Several questions-preventive maintenanc

It's a GM Distributor is in the back.
Tune up kit:0173829 same for the Ford or GM
You sure it's a 89? 89 used primarily Ford.88 used GM
Check the hull numbers. Should say 89 in there somewhere.Post it.
The plug is a standard pipe plug I believe 1/2 in??(probably wrong)
They sell them at Wally World.
I see you have 2 Fuel filters installed?
One on the front of the motor(bottom) and one on the back wall. Only need 1.
The part #s for the filter,Take to any auto parts store and they can get what you need.
You also have a filter in the carb.0984491
Since there are 3 replace them all.
No pressure if not running.
They sell an replacement insulated foam to replace the one in the cover.
Just make sure it's glued REAL GOOD.
One VERY important thing.
Changing the gear oil.It MUST be done right.Filling it wrong will cost you lots of $$$$$ Get a manual.
Stalling at idle, what are the rpms at idle? Should be around 600

papichuloy2k

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Help-89 Bayliner Cobra 5.0 Capri OMC 1950/Several questions-preventive maintenanc

Tune up kit:0173829 same for the Ford or GM
You sure it's a 89? 89 used primarily Ford.88 used GM
Check the hull numbers. Should say 89 in there somewhere.Post it.
The plug is a standard pipe plug I believe 1/2 in??(probably wrong)
They sell them at Wally World.
One on the front of the motor(bottom) and one on the back wall. Only need 1.
The part #s for the filter,Take to any auto parts store and they can get what you need.
You also have a filter in the carb.0984491
Since there are 3 replace them all.
No pressure if not running.
They sell an replacement insulated foam to replace the one in the cover.
Just make sure it's glued REAL GOOD.
One VERY important thing.
Changing the gear oil.It MUST be done right.Filling it wrong will cost you lots of $$$$$ Get a manual.
Stalling at idle, what are the rpms at idle? Should be around 600

Thanks for replying so quickly JerryJerry. I think it's an 89. The last three in the hull says 889 and in the boat registration as well (says it's 89). Unfortunately I have not found any numbers clearly, although I probably need to take a second look towards the back of the engine though.

I know that there is one in the front starboard side. The orange one in the back it's a Fram an oil filter that I just replaced. Is the orange one Fram the one you are referring to as an additional fuel filter or is it another one? I know that is hard for you to tell just with these pictures though and I appreciate your help. I will be replacing the one in the carburetor and thanks for all the part numbers you listed.

That is what got me confused. It had AC Delco spark plugs, GM Distributor and GM Rochester Carburetor. If I can only know what type of engine is, I could referred to my Seloc Manual to get the part numbers.

And for the hull drain plug, there are so many options in sizes that I cannot find a standard size. I am gonna take it to the local marine shop and buy the replacement there.

I changed the gear oil as you recommended as soon as I got the boat and I have changed two times this season. I've got wrong washers size the first time and water was getting in the lower drive. I am about to change it again after I replaced a few O rings to see if I did well as a beginner. Here is the thread I posted for those needing information:
http://forums.iboats.com/omc-i-o-in...gear-oil-change-tutorial-pictures-597218.html

Once again, thanks for taking the time to answer and happy boating!

papichuloy2k

Seaman Apprentice

I will check the RPS at idle on Monday when lake tested again and let you know. Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Get the factory manual.
It's a 5.0 GM
The drain plug? They only use 1 for 99.99% of boats.Wally World.
The filter in the back? That's a remote filter for the oil?? GOOD!!

papichuloy2k

Seaman Apprentice

G.M 50.? Got it. The manual says that the serial numbers are found in two places: By the thermostat housing (plaque is missing in my engine) and for the Cobra in the port side of the stern drive just above the anti-cavitation plate and partly hidden by the port side trim/tilt cylinder.. This is found in section 3 page 2 (Seloc).

The manual was helpful but without the plates I was lost. Thanks for your help and I am off to Wally world to get me a replacement plug. Thanks for contributing indirectly to our long awaited summer lake fun. Happy Boating Sir!

This Post was helpful answered by JerryJerry05.

papichuloy2k

Seaman Apprentice

I thought that Seloc was the factory manual...(silly me). I am gonna keep my eyes open for a factory one then. Thanks for the clarification.