1987 2.3l omc cobra. weak spark

Galaxie1989

Cadet
ok, so ive been working on this boat someone gave me. 2.3l (ford) omc cobra. It was parked for 2 years without running. Ive changed the starter, the wiring harness, the ignition switch, plugs,points in distributor, distributor cap, and the coil. The motor is now turning over but im getting a very weak orange spark out of the high tension lead. Any ideas on diagnosing the issue? Im not the most mechanically inclined person so any suggestion would help! Thanks.

Oh and if anyone can tell me the part# i would need to change points to electronic ignition and what coil i could use to eliminate the resistor wire that would be greatly appreciated. I've read conflicting stories about the electronic ignition (some say they dont make them for the 2.3 some say they do but no one says where or what i need to find!)

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 2.3l omc cobra. weak spark

Ive changed the starter, the wiring harness, the ignition switch, plugs,points in distributor, distributor cap, and the coil. The motor is now turning over but im getting a very weak orange spark out of the high tension lead.

Howdy,

If you haven't changed the condenser, Change it. it will absolutely cause a weak spark.

if you did, you need to check all electrical connections. if you have adequate voltage to the coil, a good condenser and a good ground, it'll spark.

Regards,

Rick

Galaxie1989

Cadet
Re: 1987 2.3l omc cobra. weak spark

Thanks, I did change the condenser when I changed the points. I will clean all the grounds check wiring etc.

Oh and The weak spark is coming from lead straight from the coil, not from spark plug wire. No spark at all on spark plug wires