1991 Four Winns 4.3L OMC Cobra Power Steering and Power Trim Fluid Change/Flush

e016188

Cadet
Hello,

I have a general question about power steering fluid. I have owned my boat for 5 or 6 years now. I do change engine oil/filter, fuel filter and sterndrive oil every season.

Do I need to change power steering fluid or is power steering fluid simply ok for many years. I don't know last time power steering fluid was changed if ever.

Do I need to be concerned about power trim system fluid condition? Trim works fine. I don't know last time trim fluid was changed if ever.

Jim

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Four Winns 4.3L OMC Cobra Power Steering and Power Trim Fluid Change/Flush

Hello,

I have a general question about power steering fluid. I have owned my boat for 5 or 6 years now. I do change engine oil/filter, fuel filter and sterndrive oil every season.

Do I need to change power steering fluid or is power steering fluid simply ok for many years. I don't know last time power steering fluid was changed if ever.

Do I need to be concerned about power trim system fluid condition? Trim works fine. I don't know last time trim fluid was changed if ever.

Jim

Howdy,

I hope you change the oil and drive oil at the END of the boating season instead of the beginning and you're changing the drive oil IAW the OMC service instructions for your drive.

Power steering fluid generally doesn't need to be changed very often.
The system is exactly the same as most cars and trucks. I just changed my PS fluid in my 1994 Suburban (I bought new) just a few months ago. It was pretty black....I had to drain it to R&R the steering gear for a pitman arm change. so I flushed everything and replaced the fluid.

When I installed my Mercruiser 7 years ago, I installed an inline hydraulic filter in the PS return line. I haven't changed the fluid yet.

Trim system oil is much the same. most people don't "change" it until it's contaminated with water.

Completely closed/sealed hydraulic systems usually don't have to be changed very often because there's no path for contaminants to enter.

If you want to do service "stuff", you should obtain a correct year OEM service manual. Those after market manuals are usually only good for starting your wood stove etc...

Regards,

Rick