Step by step DIY for lower shift cable replacement?

Hi, just picked up a new-to-me 1988 Wellcraft Classic with a 4.3 OMC Cobra.

It shifts quite hard from F-N-R, and while it has the updated (red) lower shift cable, it seems to be old and sticky. I'd like to swap it out before trashing the gears.

Does anyone have a link to a complete, step by step DIY procedure for this job? Something that includes all info on alignment and proper adjustment...

Thanks in advance!

Re: Step by step DIY for lower shift cable replacement?

Thanks for the links! I had the latter one, but the service manual will help as well.

I was just curious, as this is apparently a common issue, if someone wrote up (or did a video akin to iBoats' tutorial on gimbal bearing replacement) a complete walkthrough for doing the replacement. I've read up a bit in the service manual (the 1990 one posted in the FAQ here) on the procedure, but I'm a sucker for any extra info I can get before tackling something that could potentially trash my outdrive.

If the case is that there isn't a DIY out there, perhaps that'll be my first valuable contribution to this forum as a new member! :) In the past I've done detailed pictoral DIYs from everything from V4 outboard teardowns to rotary engine rebuilds in Mazdas. :D

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: Step by step DIY for lower shift cable replacement?

There is a ton of information on this, all over this and other forums, but not all in one place. If I had to give advice I'd say to get the tools first, there are 3 special tools that you need to easily adjust the shift system. The shift rod in the lower unit has to be the right height, the bellcrank in the pivot housing has to be held at a 90* angle to while setting the correct adjustment for the transom shift cable (this also requires another tool to hold the cable end at the correct setting to do the adjustment at the cable retainer). In addition to those adjustments, the cable from the remote control also has to be adjusted at the bellcrank on the engine bracket. You start with the drive off and make sure the shift rod height is correct. Then you do the transom shift cable and next the remote control cable.
I was able to get the OMC tools but you can get tools that will work for this job from forum member Midnight Wolf. There are also instructions on his website to explain the adjustment procedure. You have to look and see which one of the PDF files applies to your model. The difference is some models had the slot on the engine bellcrank on the bottom (86-87), some had it on the top (88 and up). There is also an OMC service bulletin that nicely summarizes the key points to keep in mind.

Midnight Wolf Sales - OMC Tools

When the shift linkage is properly adjusted it will shift very easily, like with 2 finger pressure.
The transom shift cable should not have more than 2 lbs of drag measured with a fish scale.
The engine idle needs to be as low as possible for it to shift easily (like 550 rpm in the water in gear).
The area behind the pivot housing bellcrank needs to be cleaned out and packed with OMC triple guard grease to prevent sticky shifting. Deposits tend to build up behind the bellcrank because water sometimes leaks in that area.