Crack in transom seal, is there a preffered way to patch?

sjolsen

Cadet
My transom seal has become weathered and has a small crack, I have a trip coming up and no time to get a new seal. Is there a prefered way to patch it? I would think even a bicycle tube patch should work...

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Crack in transom seal, is there a preffered way to patch?

What kind of trip? Like a fishing charter?

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

You boys are havin fun now!

sjolsen

Cadet

Like I said a slight crack, when my boat is in the water my bilge pump will run a few times over 24hrs, and if I can temporarily slow it until I'm finished my week long trip next week I would like to.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most of the people that come whining and crying about their boat sinking use sillycone, tire patch, rubber cement, and any other thing they can think of to keep from replacing it. Usually they are looking for someone to blame it on.

The cracks started from lack of maintenance, and the older that bellows gets, the bigger and faster the cracks happen.

sjolsen

Cadet

Out of curiousity, how do u "maintain" a transom seal? The only reason I ask about anyone doing a temp fix is to see if it is possible. Omc parts are not easy to come by up here so I'm just trying to find a way to slow the process until I have a new seal

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

For starters, buy an OEM boot. Then make sure that it does not sit in the sun all day long. My boot is now 38 years old, was removed and reinstalled once to pull the motor and drive, and shows no sign of deterioration.

Other than that, I know of no way to 'maintain' it. I have never used any kind of dressing on it as I am suspicious that most dressing deteriorate the object as opposed to protecting it.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

My transom seal has become weathered and has a small crack, I have a trip coming up and no time to get a new seal. Is there a prefered way to patch it? I would think even a bicycle tube patch should work...

Not sure where you are located but you should be able to order the seal and have it delivered within a week. Once you have it in hand it only takes a couple hours to replace. Simple job.

I had a cracked seal a few years ago and tried everything(silicone, bicycle repair kit, duct tape!, etc.) to patch it. No patch held for long and I was taking serious risk. That boot is constantly flexing while you are underway and even more so if you have trim and are using it. This is one of the weakest links in the OMC Stringer system. Do not take a chance with it. Im lucky I didnt lose my boat when I did.

Do you have an electric, hydro-mechanical or mechanical drive?

sjolsen

Cadet

I believe it is a mechanical drive, it's a 79 omc 400. I don't trim it at all, hasn't worked since I bought the boat a few years back. What is the difference between mechanical and hydro mechanical?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

If it is the original drive, it is the hydro assist mechanical drive. The full mechanical drive did not start til 1981 or 82.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

:joyous:
What is the difference between mechanical and hydro mechanical?

As far as the boot is concerned, there is no difference, but for future reference, the hydo-mech uses a hydraulic shift assist plunger in the lower gear case where as the mechanical drive is just that with an electronic shift interrupt system that momentarily stumbles the ignition.

Here is what the lower for a hydro-mechanical drive looks like:
hydromechlower_zpse9401150.jpg

And here is what the lower for a full mechanical looks like:
fullmech_zps9859e61c.jpg

Notice that the full-mech has a spot for a zink anode.

In addition to that, the full mechanical will have the switches for the shift interrupt attached to the shift converter housing as such:
hydromech_zpsa8d0a24f.jpg

For the correct boot, go here: OMC Boat Motor Parts & Outdrive Parts at MarineEngine.com After you put in your engine specs, go to "intermediate housing" and then down to #89. The one you want is priced at $134.55. There might be better prices for it somewhere else but they wont be by much and probably not worth the time to look around. But I always encourage smart online shopping. :)

sjolsen

Cadet

Thanks a lot for the help, it looks like mine is the mechanical shift, the previous owner must have had it replaced. I appreciate all of the help