king cobra 460 dies after going from idle to full throttle

Status
Not open for further replies.

david3707

Recruit
i have a 88 donzi zb with a king cobra 460, i have been having a problem with the boat dieing when i get it in the water and going from idle to full power to plain it dies right out, no sputtering or back firing, i have replaced just about everyone (coil,plugs,wires,points,had the carb rebuilt ext). out of the water the the boat idles fine and revs up no problem. the problem seems to be only when its in the water and in gear but the outdrive is newer.
thanks,dave

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: king cobra 460 dies after going from idle to full throttle

Do you have a mechanical fuel pump? If so does it have a raw water jacket like the 454's?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Depending on the serial# it could have a Rochester or a Holly carb.
It sounds like the fuel pump isin't delivering enough fuel.
Start at the tank and remove the anti-siphon valve, and the pickup tube.
Check for clog on the pickup tube or a frozen check ball on the anti-siphon valve.
Then check the rubber hose for soft spots.Ethanol is ruining the older hoses.
Then check the filter for clog.
Then check the fuel pump pressure.

Bifflefan

Commander

That was where I was going also, Fuel Pump... or possibly a plugged fuel filter.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Dave I now have the same motor in a liberator was wondering what you did to fix your problem. It is doing exactly what you describe.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey Dave I now have the same motor in a liberator was wondering what you did to fix your problem. It is doing exactly what you describe.

Dave joined, asked one question and departed within the month. He won't answer your question.

Please read the Help Tip on top of the page about posting in old, inactive threads.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.