4.3 cobra loss of power

pappysc2

Cadet
Negotiating several problems with the 4.3 cobra. With this one the engine wants to die when on plane above 300 rpm. I can throttle back/or to neutral and the engine kicks back to life. It sometimes dies completely and I can restart fine. Its got me puzzled. I have checked vent hose. fuel return hose from carb, fuel water separator and fuel line connections. I drained and completely dried the fuel tank(built in tank) last year and check for debris and h20 and found nothing.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3 cobra loss of power

Sounds like carb issues. May be time for a rebuild.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 4.3 did this and it was the fuel filter. Appears you looked into that. Is the fuel pump pressure where it shouold be?

pappysc2

Cadet

Got the carb kit today. Mine does not have a filter that I can see. not one inline or at the fuel pump, just the fuel water separator and of course the carb fuel inlet filter. How do you check the fuel pump pressure ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mine does not have a filter that I can see. not one inline or at the fuel pump, just the fuel water separator and of course the carb fuel inlet filter.

That IS a fuel filter, not just a water separator. Probably why it's called a water separating fuel filter. It needs to be replaced yearly and the contents of the old filter checked for water.

pappysc2

Cadet

Don- I thought that was the only filter I need, but wanted to double check with you all. Dumped it the other day into a glass jar, no water present. Last year when I changed the filter, when it settled I has an inch of water.