87 Triton outdrive

chucki

Cadet
I bought a "deal" that just needed a new shift cable. had no reverse but survived a couple of trips to river. purchased a cable and installed it. thought had adjusted decent so reinstalled 2.3L outdrive. boat did have a 4 cyl. but the guys I got it from put a 4.3 in. believe has the 2.3 outdrive omc as the tag on upper case says 2.3L with these #984540 model and TO465352 for a serial #. playing last year on river and the outdrive just quit pulling. motor rev up but just make noise. figured shredded the gears as not correct alignment of cable shift etc. so. bought a 2.3 lower unit off e-bay and it is a smaller prop shaft and noticeably smaller housing. what am I missing. bought 2 the same way.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 87 Triton outdrive

I bought a "deal" that just needed a new shift cable. had no reverse but survived a couple of trips to river. purchased a cable and installed it. thought had adjusted decent so reinstalled 2.3L outdrive. boat did have a 4 cyl. but the guys I got it from put a 4.3 in. believe has the 2.3 outdrive omc as the tag on upper case says 2.3L with these #984540 model and TO465352 for a serial #. playing last year on river and the outdrive just quit pulling. motor rev up but just make noise. figured shredded the gears as not correct alignment of cable shift etc. so. bought a 2.3 lower unit off e-bay and it is a smaller prop shaft and noticeably smaller housing. what am I missing. bought 2 the same way.

Ayuh,.... Post some Pictures,.... Yer description is all over the map,...

Is it a Cobra drive,..??