1977 OMC 235 HP 351W Ballast Resistor Replacement

Mkongsiri

Seaman Apprentice
The ballast resistor for my engine is cracked and smokes. I found the Evinruide part number for it as 0981654 2.0 Ohm for $70+. Can I just use an autozone auto equivalent for $8? It just cuts voltage to the coil, I just dont see how the Evinrude version could be that much different from an automotive equivalent beside physical mounting. As long as it has the same resistance rating, wouldnt any one work? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 1977 OMC 235 HP 351W Ballast Resistor Replacement

I've used an automotive one before and it worked fine.
Another option is to just change to a coil that doesn't require the resistor and feed it the full 12V.

Mkongsiri

Seaman Apprentice

Great idea! Thanks!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Better yet, switch to a Pertronix II ignitor and a Pertronix Flame Thrower coil and you won't need the ballast resistor.

monster91

Cadet

Better yet, switch to a Pertronix II ignitor and a Pertronix Flame Thrower coil and you won't need the ballast resistor.

I'm not sure if this is true but I was told if you have an external resistor you're motor is wired for that style and you can't interchange?

For example my inline 6 has a 2ohm external resistor and due to that I can't put an electronic ignition upgrade. I was told I'm doomed to that set up? does that make sense?

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure if this is true but I was told if you have an external resistor you're motor is wired for that style and you can't interchange?

For example my inline 6 has a 2ohm external resistor and due to that I can't put an electronic ignition upgrade. I was told I'm doomed to that set up? does that make sense?

It makes sense, but whoever told you that is wrong.

The resistor/resistor wire is usually "in" the harness. So to use 12V coil Like the Pertronix you wire it yourself.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

It makes sense, but whoever told you that is wrong.

The resistor/resistor wire is usually "in" the harness. .....

While this is true for, I guess, most GM motors, the Ford OMC used a kind of ceramic potted external resistor. It was mounted on the motor and very easy to bypass, and as in my case, remove and toss.