1992 OMC starter removal

Darmy

Recruit
Hey all, new to the forums but have found some useful info so far... I have a '92 Sunbird Corsair 175 with OMC 3.0L (GM). Trouble with the starter solenoid which I'd like to replace prior to replacing the whole starter assembly. I tried to remove the solenoid but can't seem to get it off. So next idea was to remove whole assembly, but one of the bolts seems inaccessible. It's tight to the starter body and mounting area of the engine... Doesn't seem a thin walled socket would even fit, and an open end wrench doesn't have room to turn. Anyone have experience with this? Or have a suggestion? (Yes I have a manual, but doesn't really outline removal.) Thanks for any help!
David

undecided69

Seaman
Re: 1992 OMC starter removal

i just took my starter of my boat today n i got same engine block took me about an hour to get it off i used a 14mm socket for the nut closr to the oil pan n the nut on the driver side u facing the stern i used a open wrench i had the wrench barely on the nut good luck..

Darmy

Recruit
Re: 1992 OMC starter removal

Update: I got the starter/solenoid assembly off last night. Ground a socket down till I wasn't sure it would hold up and it slipped right onto the bolt. Now to test both and replace existing bolts with hex-heads...