can someone please tell me what goes here? picture inside

mmhyson

Seaman
Re: can someone please tell me what goes here? picture inside

ok update. gimbal bearing is installed and about to install new bellows. do I use rtv sealer or just a gasket non drying sealer when installing ujoint bellows?

tfitch03

Seaman

I used bellows adhesive that I bought on Amazon for cheap. Not sure about the RTV, I imagine it would work though.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Bellows adhesive only! Rtv is not a good sealant for that. It is actually a bit slippery,and the bellow could come off,flooding the boat very quickly. As before,bellows adhesive only?
Grub

sam60

Captain

I imagine it would work though.

No offense tfitch03, but there is a reason that some of us shouldn't respond to questions like this. People can be miles off shore on a boat that has been repaired using advice that can be causually taken from a forum. Sealing a boat from water intrusion is something to be taken very seriously.

Just my 2 cents.

mmhyson

Seaman

i will get bellow adhesive thank you. when i but the out drive back on do i need any type of sealant on that gasket the manual didnt say anything about using anything. some said use grease. what do you guys think.

tfitch03

Seaman

No offense tfitch03, but there is a reason that some of us shouldn't respond to questions like this. People can be miles off shore on a boat that has been repaired using advice that can be causually taken from a forum. Sealing a boat from water intrusion is something to be taken very seriously.

Just my 2 cents.

good point sam

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Some one mentioned the thing in the exhaust bellows.that's an exhaust flap that fell from the upper part of the y pipe.It needs to be there!!
Also in the pic of the upper u-joint bellows and exhaust.There is a shiny thing sticking out of the side in the exhaust passaage.
That tingy is called a Bellcrank.The BC is the part of shift mechanism. It needs to be taken out and the surfaces cleaned and lubed.
It's held in with a 1/4-20 screw.7/16 head.It can be taken out without any adjusting of the shifter.
Bellows adhesive ONLY!!!

The hole in the side is a casting plug.You won't find it in 99.9% of the parts digrams.So filling it with something and covering it with silicone might work?
Some one might have an old one you can get.
Maybe an OMC dealer??
Get the FACTORY manual.The oil in the drive needs special attention when filling.You don't do it right?? it will cost you an upper unit.
Fill out the profile? Location? You might be close to someone who can help.

mmhyson

Seaman

i am all ready to reinstall the out drive back on. should it slide easily back on or am i going to fight with it. it didnt just pull off i had to wiggle the crap out of it. i bought an engine alignment tool but not sure how far it should slide in.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The tool should bottom out on the gimble bearing.
When removed it should have grease marks on the end.They should be in the shape of the splines like on the end of the shaft.
The lines should be clear/even and all the way around.
If not try moving the gimble around a bit(with the tool) and try again.
You clean/lube the bellcrank?
Sometimes you need to grease the bellows.
Sometimes there is too much grease on the shaft.Under the o-rings the grease builds up and will lock the drive in place.Won't go past the o-rings.
I always put the drive in F gear.Then as I try to push it in,I reach down and pull up on the prop(right side).This spins the shaft and it meshes and the u-joints slide in as it turns.
Putting a 2x4 or a 4x4 or what ever will bring it up to make the drive level. That will make it easier to go on.
You should never need a hammer or a lot of force to install. If it's hard to install then something's WRONG!!!

mmhyson

Seaman

do ineed to use a gasket sealer on the out drive gasket when re assembling? or just use the gasket dry

tfitch03

Seaman

do ineed to use a gasket sealer on the out drive gasket when re assembling? or just use the gasket dry

Good idea to refer to manual on this one as you don't want it to leak.

tfitch03

Seaman

I don't want to get yelled at but I heard to install them dry. That's what I did to mine a few weeks ago. Worked out fine.

mmhyson

Seaman

that's what I heard also its not very clear in the manual

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Manual says" Use OMC Gasket Sealing Compound on the outer boss,where the bellows mounts. Not on the exhaust"
Once you are putting the pivot housing back on,I use a small bit of grease on the bellows to help it slide over the lip.

mmhyson

Seaman

drive is back on went on nice and smooth the putting into forward and wiggling prop made all the difference. thanks afor all the help. I will be moving to the distributor cap and draining the fuel before I attempt to start her up. lubed cylinders evrythings moves freely and smooth.