can someone please tell me what goes here? picture inside

mmhyson

Seaman
I am tring to figure out what goes here if anything at all. I just acquired this boat and tring to give it a once over before starting it up. thanks in advance for the help.

mmhyson

Seaman
Re: can someone please tell me what goes here? picture inside

do you know where I can get the bolt? I got the boat with it missing. is the out drive heavy, what should I use to support it? thanks for the quick replies

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

One person can handle the drive, probably better with two persons. You may want to rig up a stand of sorts, out of 2X4s. I'd also suggest reading much more on this forum and the Mercruiser forum. While you have the drive off - alot of preventive maintenance and checks to be done. I added the Mercruiser forum only because of similarities and tips. Start with searches for "Alignment" & "Gimbal".

mmhyson

Seaman

thanks for the help. I will do alil more research il just do it at work and use a fork lift to support it. I enjoy the easy triva of the random question it makes me feel smart I only got one answer wrong hahahahaha.:) im sure i'll be back with questions im new to owning a boat slowly converting from the jetski :cold:

bonzoscott

Don't use a fork lift unless you're good enough to pick up a dime with it. You could do some serious damage if doesn't go as planned.

mmhyson

Seaman

I pulled my ourdrive off today there was a mouse nest in the bottom section how did a mouse get in there what goes through this port

how does it look or what am I looking for I didn't see any signs of water intrusion boat has been out of water for 2 years

how does the u joints lok does everything look typical is there any glaringly wrong items here?

bonzoscott

I can't tell the condidtion with out close inspection. First thing would be a major cleaning. Maybe a pro will chime in if they see something. Personally, I would change bellows and gimbal bearing while the drive is off.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Bottom port is the exhaust, and it appears one of the shutter or flapper valves have come loose from further up in the exhaust, so you will need to look into replacing them, and removing the loose shutter.

U-joints appear to have been bathed in water, and are probably shot along with the bellows, and gimbal bearing. Just out of curiosity, have you drained the oil out of the drive yet? Some of the drives out there have little tolerance for water intrusion in the bellows area, and the seal that seals off the yolk on the drive will allow water in.

mmhyson

Seaman

i have not drained oil out yet. the bellows are dry and the u joints it just a light surface rust wipes right off. , boat had been out of water with drive left on boat for two new hampshire winters. everything pulled about easily. how did a mouse get in the exhaust bellow it didnt apear cracked. is the gimbal bearing easy to replace?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

i have not drained oil out yet. the bellows are dry and the u joints it just a light surface rust wipes right off. , boat had been out of water with drive left on boat for two new hampshire winters. everything pulled about easily. how did a mouse get in the exhaust bellow it didnt apear cracked. is the gimbal bearing easy to replace?

Howdy,

I would suggest getting an OEM OMC service manual, an alignment tool and inspecting those U-joints VERY closely. If they're even the least bit questionable, replace them. They're not all that expensive. If they come apart, it usually breaks aluminum castings. (transom mount and other upper drive parts) A transom service kit (sold "everywhere") will have a new gimbal bearing. Also, have a look at the "Sticky" messages at the top of this forum and look at OMC Cobra Sterndrive Tech Info

The mouse probably crawled up through the prop/exhaust port or the exhaust relief ports.....They don't need much room. Plan on separating the exhaust manifolds & risers to inspect for rust clogging and replace riser gaskets..... Is the block cracked?

mmhyson

Seaman

i dont know if the block is cracked how do i tell if the block is cracked? i have a service manual its kinda vague at times

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

i dont know if the block is cracked how do i tell if the block is cracked? i have a service manual its kinda vague at times

You pressure check the cooling system with compressed air.

Since it went through 2 cold winters that you know of and it appears that the original owner didn't take very good care of it, It might be good to add pressure-checking to the list.

mmhyson

Seaman

how much do shops charge to perform that test

mmhyson

Seaman

i pulled the manifolds and risers they look good enough to not replace. also there was a small tear in the ujoint bellow, i drained the out drive oil and it was clearish green no signs of water. i also pulled the large water hose off the water pump and it was antifreez i put it in my freezer and it did not freez so im pretty confident the block is not cracked. also both exhaust pipes had the flapper in them the one that feel down must have been an old one, i am working on trong to remove it any tipes?
also do i need to buy the alignment tool to replace the gimbal bearing ? or can i do this with common automotive tools?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

You need the alignment tool to align the engine coupler with the drive shaft before you re-install the drive.

Some use a slide hammer to remove the old gimbal bearing.

This excellent video hosted by iBoats indicates use of a puller (which you could make yourself)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj9LLfJEikA

mmhyson

Seaman

awesome thank you. I am having a hard time getting to the pivot housing bolts I am bout to notice the transom housing to get to them. the power steering is making it impossible to turn to get the bolt in any tip on this.

mmhyson

Seaman

the powersteering cylinder shaft was corroted and froze. wacked withh hammer, unfroze, steel wooled shaft and greased works smooth now.