• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

can someone please tell me what goes here? picture inside

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: can someone please tell me what goes here? picture inside

Originally posted by mmhyson View Post
    how much do shops charge to perform that test
    It would probably take 1-2 hours at $$$/hr
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I use xxx oil and have never had a problem........
    This post was created with OpenSuSE x64 Linux!

Comment

i pulled the manifolds and risers they look good enough to not replace. also there was a small tear in the ujoint bellow, i drained the out drive oil and it was clearish green no signs of water. i also pulled the large water hose off the water pump and it was antifreez i put it in my freezer and it did not freez so im pretty confident the block is not cracked. also both exhaust pipes had the flapper in them the one that feel down must have been an old one, i am working on trong to remove it any tipes?
      also do i need to buy the alignment tool to replace the gimbal bearing ? or can i do this with common automotive tools?

Comment

You need the alignment tool to align the engine coupler with the drive shaft before you re-install the drive.

Some use a slide hammer to remove the old gimbal bearing.

This excellent video hosted by iBoats indicates use of a puller (which you could make yourself)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj9LLfJEikA
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I use xxx oil and have never had a problem........
        This post was created with OpenSuSE x64 Linux!

Comment

awesome thank you. I am having a hard time getting to the pivot housing bolts I am bout to notice the transom housing to get to them. the power steering is making it impossible to turn to get the bolt in any tip on this.

Comment

the powersteering cylinder shaft was corroted and froze. wacked withh hammer, unfroze, steel wooled shaft and greased works smooth now.

Comment

ok update. gimbal bearing is installed and about to install new bellows. do I use rtv sealer or just a gasket non drying sealer when installing ujoint bellows?

Comment

I used bellows adhesive that I bought on Amazon for cheap. Not sure about the RTV, I imagine it would work though.

Comment

Bellows adhesive only! Rtv is not a good sealant for that. It is actually a bit slippery,and the bellow could come off,flooding the boat very quickly. As before,bellows adhesive only?
                  Grub
                  If ya can't fix it with a hammer,ya got yourself an electrical problem.

Comment

Originally posted by tfitch03 View Post
                    I imagine it would work though.
                    No offense tfitch03, but there is a reason that some of us shouldn't respond to questions like this. People can be miles off shore on a boat that has been repaired using advice that can be causually taken from a forum. Sealing a boat from water intrusion is something to be taken very seriously.

Just my 2 cents.
                    1992 Seaswirl 250 SWL-744DPEAMH

Comment

i will get bellow adhesive thank you. when i but the out drive back on do i need any type of sealant on that gasket the manual didnt say anything about using anything. some said use grease. what do you guys think.

Comment

Originally posted by sam60 View Post
                        No offense tfitch03, but there is a reason that some of us shouldn't respond to questions like this. People can be miles off shore on a boat that has been repaired using advice that can be causually taken from a forum. Sealing a boat from water intrusion is something to be taken very seriously.

Just my 2 cents.
                        good point sam

Comment

Originally posted by tfitch03 View Post
                          good point sam
                          Agreed,but I've to much silicone used in the wrong places over the years.
                          If ya can't fix it with a hammer,ya got yourself an electrical problem.

Comment

Some one mentioned the thing in the exhaust bellows.that's an exhaust flap that fell from the upper part of the y pipe.It needs to be there!!
                            Also in the pic of the upper u-joint bellows and exhaust.There is a shiny thing sticking out of the side in the exhaust passaage.
                            That tingy is called a Bellcrank.The BC is the part of shift mechanism. It needs to be taken out and the surfaces cleaned and lubed.
                            It's held in with a 1/4-20 screw.7/16 head.It can be taken out without any adjusting of the shifter.
                            Bellows adhesive ONLY!!!

The hole in the side is a casting plug.You won't find it in 99.9% of the parts digrams.So filling it with something and covering it with silicone might work?
                            Some one might have an old one you can get.
                            Maybe an OMC dealer??
                            Get the FACTORY manual.The oil in the drive needs special attention when filling.You don't do it right?? it will cost you an upper unit.
                            Fill out the profile? Location? You might be close to someone who can help.
                            IF YOUR OUTBOARD DOESN"T START WITHING A FEW SECONDS THEN SOMETHING"S WRONG!!!!

Other websites are NOT the place to buy parts.They managed to screw up my last 4 orders.
                            NO communication,NO follow through. Incompetent staff.Nuff said!

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.

If you fix your problem,do the rest of the posters a favor and send in one more post telling who,what, how it was fixed.J

88 Bayliner 21CC Twin 85hp Forces.

Comment

i am all ready to reinstall the out drive back on. should it slide easily back on or am i going to fight with it. it didnt just pull off i had to wiggle the crap out of it. i bought an engine alignment tool but not sure how far it should slide in.

Comment

The tool should bottom out on the gimble bearing.
                                When removed it should have grease marks on the end.They should be in the shape of the splines like on the end of the shaft.
                                The lines should be clear/even and all the way around.
                                If not try moving the gimble around a bit(with the tool) and try again.
                                You clean/lube the bellcrank?
                                Sometimes you need to grease the bellows.
                                Sometimes there is too much grease on the shaft.Under the o-rings the grease builds up and will lock the drive in place.Won't go past the o-rings.
                                I always put the drive in F gear.Then as I try to push it in,I reach down and pull up on the prop(right side).This spins the shaft and it meshes and the u-joints slide in as it turns.
                                Putting a 2x4 or a 4x4 or what ever will bring it up to make the drive level. That will make it easier to go on.
                                You should never need a hammer or a lot of force to install. If it's hard to install then something's WRONG!!!
                                IF YOUR OUTBOARD DOESN"T START WITHING A FEW SECONDS THEN SOMETHING"S WRONG!!!!

Other websites are NOT the place to buy parts.They managed to screw up my last 4 orders.
                                NO communication,NO follow through. Incompetent staff.Nuff said!

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.

If you fix your problem,do the rest of the posters a favor and send in one more post telling who,what, how it was fixed.J

88 Bayliner 21CC Twin 85hp Forces.

Comment

Working...
                                X