1988 Bayliner Capri with Ford 2.3L OMC - No Spark - Electronic Ignition Question

bennyboating

Recruit
I am trying to find out if anyone has installed the PERTRONIX 91241LS Ignitor II which fits Ford 4 Cylinders? I would like to get rid of points all together... Any insight on this conversion kit in particular? Does it work? Is it the correct kit?

Thanks!

...owning a boat is a love hate relationship.

bezerk1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1988 Bayliner Capri with Ford 2.3L OMC - No Spark - Electronic Ignition Question

I have that kit in my boat, and I love it. I noticed easier starting, lower idle, and better low speed cruising. The kit was easy to install too. Be aware that you will have to modify your ESA to work with it.

bennyboating

Recruit
Re: 1988 Bayliner Capri with Ford 2.3L OMC - No Spark - Electronic Ignition Question

Thanks for the response! What all did you do to the ESA module?

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

What all did you do to the ESA module?

Interested too? I seen the new modules being sold around. Would anyone have a picture of installed one? Curious to see where and how this unit installed.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Or stick with the points which is what I would do.

What is the disadvantage of the points? Do I get better spark and better preformance with electronic ignition?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What is the disadvantage of the points? Do I get better spark and better preformance with electronic ignition?
Not with a pertronix. Its just an electronic version of points. Still uses your mechanical advance in your distributor.

The only disadvantage of points is that you have to maintain and replace them.