OMC 140 engine removal

Flyinb

Seaman Apprentice
Is it possible to pull a omc 140 without pulling the outdrive and the boat still in the water? Its a houseboat and very expensive to take it out of the water. Need to change the rear main seal i believe.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC 140 engine removal

Ayuh,.... What vintage,..?? Which drive,..??

Flyinb

Seaman Apprentice

Duh...Umm...It's an 1981 and all i can tell ya from looking at it Bondo is the exhaust go's into the bell housing on the port side.
Ayuh,.... What vintage,..?? Which drive,..??

Bondo

Staff member

Duh...Umm...It's an 1981 and all i can tell ya from looking at it Bondo is the exhaust go's into the bell housing on the port side.

Ayuh,... Ya got a Stringer drive,... I found yer thread over at Marineengines,...

The advice there is rock solid,...
Firmly cable or chain up the drive, as it's gonna wanta drop out the back, when ya pull the motor...

Flyinb

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Bondo, your posts on this forum have helped me many times. I mostly find all my answers by just searching. I see you are on the east coast, right at the top of my bucket list is to do the Great Loop.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Bondo, your posts on this forum have helped me many times. I mostly find all my answers by just searching. I see you are on the east coast, right at the top of my bucket list is to do the Great Loop.

Ayuh,..... My dock is only a few miles off the St.Lawrence Seaway, Right up here at the tailwaters of the inland sweetwater seas,.... if yer ever passin' by,....

Put my location into google, then click maps, then satellite, then edit the search to Chaumont River....
'n you'll see my dock....
I'm just up, 'n under the bridge, on the east-side.... ;)

Flyinb

Seaman Apprentice

OK i am about to start this job. Thanks to you guys i now have a feel of what it will take to remove the engine although i havent determined the exact cause of the oil leak. I talked to the owner and he said he ran the houseboat for 3 1/2 hours and it leaked out 2 1/2 qts. of oil into the bilge. When i looked at it a few weeks ago i diden't have any tools or mirrors with me but i could see above the oil pan and there was no oil leak visible above it so my guess is the rear main seal. I would appreciate any input or ideas. When i head down next week i will pull the starter first and see if it is covered in oil.
Thanks Guys,
Bruce

Bondo

Staff member

OK i am about to start this job. Thanks to you guys i now have a feel of what it will take to remove the engine although i havent determined the exact cause of the oil leak. I talked to the owner and he said he ran the houseboat for 3 1/2 hours and it leaked out 2 1/2 qts. of oil into the bilge. When i looked at it a few weeks ago i diden't have any tools or mirrors with me but i could see above the oil pan and there was no oil leak visible above it so my guess is the rear main seal. I would appreciate any input or ideas. When i head down next week i will pull the starter first and see if it is covered in oil.
Thanks Guys,
Bruce

Ayuh,... Have ya got a digital camera,... If not, Borrow 1,...
Way better than a mirror for that sorta stuff,...

Oil, like water flows downhill,.... The leak will never be Above the stain,...

The cleanest stain, highest up, is the leak,...

Look for pin holes, 'n peelin' paint on the oil pan,....

Good Luck,... ;)

Flyinb

Seaman Apprentice

Digital camera....great idea, never thought of that, just happen to have one. Got to be a pretty good leak for 2 1/2 qts in 3 1/2 hours of running i would think. Thanks again Bondo

Flyinb

Seaman Apprentice

Double post

Last edited: