7.4 V-drive transmission noise

dgn8532

Recruit
I own a 1991 Searay Sundancer 310 powered by two 310HP, 7.4L V-8s. The boat has V-drive configurations. Lately, when shifting from neutral to either forward or reverse (port engine only) instead of a smooth transition into gear there is a bit of a clunk sound. It goes into gear all right and stays there but the noise is not normal. There is no resistance in the shifter lever at the dash in either direction. The starboard transmission shifts correctly so there is a distinct difference between the two. Additionally there is transmission "noise" kind of like the whining gears of a good old 1953 Chevy truck or something of that vintage. The noise can only be heard at low speeds around the dock. The RPMs of both engines are around 900 with the accelerator levers fully depressed at the helm. Starboard shifts beautifully at this engine speed. No cables have ever been pulled, replaced or adjusted. The engines/transmissions have never been pulled.

This is a freshwater boat used at Lake Powell, UT maybe 6-7 times/year. Engine hours about 1100.

Would anybody care to offer a diagnosis?

Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 7.4 V-drive transmission noise

What kind of V drive and transmission? have you checked the oil in it?

how about some model numbers or serial numbers for the engines so we can look them up and see what you have. You posted in the OMC forum, but I don't think SeaRay was using OMC in 91.

dgn8532

Recruit

What kind of V drive and transmission? have you checked the oil in it?

how about some model numbers or serial numbers for the engines so we can look them up and see what you have. You posted in the OMC forum, but I don't think SeaRay was using OMC in 91.

Thank you, Don. I have checked the fluids numerous times and has always been steady. No evidence of tranny leak. I did not happen to check it on this occasion. I am 500mi from the boat at this time and may be a month or so before I can return and obtain serial #'s.

Regarding the OMC post. These are 454 cu in engines manufactured by GM. Posts by other boaters mostly have to do with shift problems on I/O's or outboards, not with direct or V-drive configurations. My boat shifts ok. It's the noise and the bit of torque that goes with it which has me concerned. Your suggestion as to a better place to post would be welcome.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Can you take a picture of what you have?