OMC 1989 Cobra Concealed Control Box 174280 Installation Instructions

Dtruedog

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know of a source for installation instructions or layout diagram for accurately preparing the panel onto which it will be mounted?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC 1989 Cobra Concealed Control Box 174280 Installation Instructions

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Yer gonna need awhole lot more Info than that to get any real answers....

How is anybody to know what a Control Box 174280 is, without a picture or link,..??

Knowin' what motor's turnin' this Cobra drive would be handy too...

chrisrooter

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 89 cobra omc drive with a 2.3L, it's in a donzi boat. but honestly have no idea what a concealed control box is. As stated. Nor do I have a manual to help you out. There are very informative fellows on here, give respect and they will be nice. Goodluck.

Dtruedog

Seaman Apprentice

The control unit I wish to install is an OMC part # 0174280 REMOTE CONTROL ASSEMBLY - Concealed side mount with trim switch. The boat power configuration is a 1989 Cobra 232BMRMEF (2.3l Ford). The current control unit installed is a Morse single handle dual function w/trim but no neutral start safety switch. The Morse unit internals have too much play either from excessive wear or otherwise, not to mention the lack of neutral start interlock function. The OMC unit is in like new condition and it appears to be pretty straightforward to install (locate through hole location for handle and lay out three holes at 120 degree spacing to bolt it on.

Are there any particular things I need to pay close attention to when doing the installation. I'd like to get it right the first time.
Thanks for the feedback!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Another thing you should make sure of is to support the shift cable all the way back to the stern. If it is flopping around, you will get more lost motion which feels like slop in the controller.