• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1988 bayliner capri 120hp 2.3 liter ford cobra omc inboard engine rebuild help ????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1988 bayliner capri 120hp 2.3 liter ford cobra omc inboard engine rebuild help ??

yeah i guess that is true i wont really know what i got till i open it up and find whats wrong with this thing and how much work illl have to put into it,but worst comes to worst i can always sell it as is and move on, but ill see, so one question im about to take off the outdrive if pulling that last spark doesnt work, but am i going to be pulling off the whole drive and shaft ?? or just the back part of the outdrive ??? cuz if i pull out the whole outdrive looks like ill have to pull the motor to get to it first ???? any idea ??

thanks, austin

Comment

Re: 1988 bayliner capri 120hp 2.3 liter ford cobra omc inboard engine rebuild help ??

I'd suggest picking up a good manual because you've managed to alienate some very knowledgeable people on here and I would be surprised if any of them want to talk you through the process of discovering you've got a white elephant.

I tried to contain myself...but I escaped!

Scott & Roxanne
      1989 Carver Santego 30
      Twin Merc 5.7L Alphas

Comment

hmm i dont think a manuals going to help me to help me much with this and i know theirs gentlemen out there that are willing to help me with this. so i got that last spark plug out of the cylinder sprayed some stuff in all 4 cylinders this time,rocked it and tried to start it , still nothing however the crank sounds like its moving or trying to move now and i found that the clicking noise sounds like its coming from the outdrive area behind the motor i think the outdrive maybe the problem or the shaft from it is caught up on something perhaps ???? should i pull the whole outdrive off ? or just the back ??

thanks, austin

Comment

You need a manual. The whole drive comes off.

Basically those 6 nuts, the trim rams, and make sure its in neutral. Depending when it was last off, likely a LONG time, it might come off...maybe.
          1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
          Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
          Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
          "Common sense is not very common"
          "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

Read here;
            OMC Cobra Complete Outdrive Removal : Boat Parts Support Forum - Crowley Marine

You can skip steps 1,2, and 6, since chances are you don't have the eye bolt to do it. Just horse the drive off like most everybody else.
            1976 Rogers Custom Boats 18' "Bonneville" W/ Chevy 454/ Berkeley 12JC

Care Taker of 1976 Glastron V-184 Crestflight W/ Volvo 170B/280 I.O.
            & 1969 Starcraft W/ 1956 Evinrude 7.5hp Fleetwin.

Comment

Originally posted by my4winnsboat View Post
              hmm i dont think a manuals going to help me to help me much with this and i know theirs gentlemen out there that are willing to help me with this. so i got that last spark plug out of the cylinder sprayed some stuff in all 4 cylinders this time,rocked it and tried to start it , still nothing however the crank sounds like its moving or trying to move now and i found that the clicking noise sounds like its coming from the outdrive area behind the motor i think the outdrive maybe the problem or the shaft from it is caught up on something perhaps ???? should i pull the whole outdrive off ? or just the back ??

thanks, austin
              Ayuh,.... If ya read a Manual,... atleast you'd understand the lingo of what's bein' talked about....

What We're callin' the Outdrive needs to come off, as Bruce says,...

I've No Clue at all as to what Yer callin' the Outdrive....

Spend some time lookin' 'round in Here,...
              It ain't all OMC stuff, but there's Still Tons, 'n Tons of learnin' you can do in there....
              Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

okay so i got the outdrive off the boat how do i tell if the drive is seized ??? or where do i go from here ?? otherwise im just going to start lifting out this motor and try attempting this myself. i will take any advise if helpfull thanks

Comment

also i know what a outdrive is to settle all the confusion.

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by my4winnsboat View Post
                    okay so i got the outdrive off the boat how do i tell if the drive is seized ??? or where do i go from here ?? otherwise im just going to start lifting out this motor and try attempting this myself. i will take any advise if helpfull thanks
                    Turn the drive shaft. If it turns, it isn't seized.
                    1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                    Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                    Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                    "Common sense is not very common"
                    "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

okay so the drive is good then its turnin just fine must be the motor

Comment

If your marine cylinder head is good, you can use a Ford Ranger 2.3 up to 1994. You just need to swap the marine specific parts over. If the boat is that nice, it may be a good candidate for a 3.0L Mercruiser setup. You can probably find a rot box boat for $500, and get what you need to make it work
                        1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray- 1964 Mercury 650. In family since new.

Comment

This guy asked for help and it seems all he really got was a bunch of **** and some poor opinions.
                          I guess they should make a OPINION ON HOW I(they) THINK??Section.
                          If the drive is turning while in gear and there is good oil in it.That will get your money back.
                          The motor, turning bolt? is it in the harmonic balancer?
                          When you pulled the plugs was there any water or rust?
                          Remove the starter and try turning the flywheel with a prybar.
                          While it's apart? Check the exhaust manifold? Make sure it's not clogged.Those parts are NLA.
                          Thanks to the ones who did offer help.
                          IF YOUR OUTBOARD DOESN"T START WITHING A FEW SECONDS THEN SOMETHING"S WRONG!!!!

Other websites are NOT the place to buy parts.They managed to screw up my last 4 orders.
                          NO communication,NO follow through. Incompetent staff.Nuff said!

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.

If you fix your problem,do the rest of the posters a favor and send in one more post telling who,what, how it was fixed.J

88 Bayliner 21CC Twin 85hp Forces.

Comment

thanks matt and jerry iv been taking it apart since i took off the outdrive and got the head case off the top and found its good up their looked really clean suprisingly and the crank on top seems to be okay,when i got the spark plugs out they were rusty and didnt look good when i checked the oil though it looked clean,when i took off the water pump or on the left part of the motor that leads into the block i found tons of rust and saltwater damage, rusty bits and pieces from the pipe broken off and sitting in the passageway, im sorta glad the engine didnt run when i tried to start it first, that stuff cant be good, although im going to keep taking it apart and try the crowbar in the flywheel and im really curiouse about whats in the block after seeing all the damage though im thinking i might just have to replace the bottem half off the engine with a car motor like matt said. but if i have to dump more then a few hundred dollars im just going to pull the motor and sell it with the outdrive to someone who wants to put engine in

thanks austin

Comment

The only reason a service manual specific to your engine/drive wouldn't help you is if you couldn't read and you are here so we know that's not the case. The manufacturers develop those manuals for training and service purposes. What on earth makes you think it wouldn't help.

Comment

The crank on top is the camshaft. The motor sounds like it is trash. Doubt I would go any farther with it. Scout out a pre '94 Ford 2.3L. Mustang, Capri, Ranger and Thunderbird will all work. You just need to keep the marine camshaft, cylinder head, intake/ exhaust manifolds and water pump. Distributor also. You may be able to get one for little of nothing but a complete rot box boat as a donor with a 2.5L/ 3.0L Mercruiser setup will likely be cheaper. Either way, your going to be out at least $1k into getting it going, and a non running 2.3L Bayliner is a freebie boat
                                1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray- 1964 Mercury 650. In family since new.

Comment

Working...
                                X