95' OMC 5.8L EFI & Cobra drive. Need new shift cable. How do I pick the right one?

95' OMC 5.8L EFI & Cobra drive. Need new shift cable. How do I pick the right one?

I have a 1995 Four Winns Candia 214 with a 5.8L OMC EFI and Cobra drive. I need to replace the shift cable, but am overwhelmed with the variety of cables and length options. What should I be looking for? Thank you.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 95' OMC 5.8L EFI & Cobra drive. Need new shift cable. How do I pick the right o

Re: 95' OMC 5.8L EFI & Cobra drive. Need new shift cable. How do I pick the right o

I have a 1995 Four Winns Candia 214 with a 5.8L OMC EFI and Cobra drive. I need to replace the shift cable, but am overwhelmed with the variety of cables and length options. What should I be looking for? Thank you.

Depends on what model you have. Do you have an SX Cobra or a regular Cobra?

99% sure it's a regular Cobra. Non SX

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Be sure, because there is a huge difference in cable.

SX vs Cobra.jpg

Don S., you are a genius! My drive IS the VP SX, cone clutch. Thank you for helping, again.

Also, where can I get matching paint for this drive? Preferably in a spray can.

I should clarify, my drive looks exactly like the Volvo Penta, but with Cobra badges and the paint is a charcoal color. The paint is a shade between the picture of the VP and Cobra.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to get the exact length cable you have now. I suggest the Teleflex TFXTREME.

Re: 95' OMC 5.8L EFI & Cobra SX drive. Need new shift cable. How do I find it?

Re: 95' OMC 5.8L EFI & Cobra SX drive. Need new shift cable. How do I find it?

Where on the shift cable assembly do I start and end the measurement?

Last edited:

I found the answer to my question at Rex Marine's website:

"• Cable measurement is taken overall length (end to end)"
They also offered a picture.

Thank you.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Its also going to be marked on your existing cable near the end of the housing.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You do know that iboats sells those cables, it's how they afford to have this forum so you can get free information. look at the parts links just above your post.

Also, so you know why the drive looks like a Volvo, OMC and Volvo were in a joint venture from 1994 to 98, so the drive was redesigned with the outside looking like a Cobra, but the insides were all Volvo. Then in 98 OMC sold the sterndrive division to Volvo and that was the end of OMC sterndrives.