1992 OMC Leaky Bellows

tfitch03

Seaman
I got my outdrive off today to inspect some concerns I have been having. I have been having some bearing noise coming from my sterndrive and thought it may be my gimble bearing or something internal. I still believe I have internal issues that I will be checking out later but check out what I found today! My suspicions were confirmed as I found my u joint bellows half full of water. U joints are shot, bearing is shot, who knows what else. I am brand new to boat maint. so if anyone has any tips for me, I would LOVE to hear them. I have learned so much from this site already.

IMG_1851.jpgIMG_1849.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 OMC Leaky Bellows

What does your gear oil look like?

tfitch03

Seaman

Gear oil is good to go, zero water. This will be my first attempt at changing bellows, u joints, and gimble bearings.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Gear oil is good to go, zero water. This will be my first attempt at changing bellows, u joints, and gimble bearings.

I have done u-joints before but I now just bring the whole drive in to a shop that can do the u-joints. I bent a yoke once pulling out the bearing caps and have since just let someone else do it.

tfitch03

Seaman

I have done u-joints before but I now just bring the whole drive in to a shop that can do the u-joints. I bent a yoke once pulling out the bearing caps and have since just let someone else do it.

Thanks, I am going to take your advice. Just talked to a shop and told him I was coming in on Friday.

tfitch03

Seaman

Update. Rented the ujoint puller tool from Pep Boys and got the new ujoints installed. new gimble bearing installed. Ready for bellow install.

New:
IMG_1867_zpsafee25c3.jpg

Old:
IMG_1851_zps1f5ea8da.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Ahhh...so you ended up doing the u-joints yourself?

tfitch03

Seaman

Ahhh...so you ended up doing the u-joints yourself?

Yes sir. Had some unforeseen events that didn't allow me to make it to the boat mechanic so rather than wait around I watched a YouTube instructional and then rented the tool. Little awkward to do with just two hands but having the right tool saved me hours and a lot of unnecessary trouble.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes sir. Had some unforeseen events that didn't allow me to make it to the boat mechanic so rather than wait around I watched a YouTube instructional and then rented the tool. Little awkward to do with just two hands but having the right tool saved me hours and a lot of unnecessary trouble.

There's a lot of satisfaction doing it yourself, but you've no-one to blame if it fails...

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a tool for doing U-Joints? ( Just Kidding) ball peen has always worked for me... or there is the old trick of 2 sockets and a bench vice... that works really well...

tfitch03

Seaman

There is a tool for doing U-Joints? ( Just Kidding) ball peen has always worked for me... or there is the old trick of 2 sockets and a bench vice... that works really well...

I don't have time for tools! I just grabbed the yoke and pushed them out, and the new ones in, with my thumbs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

After bending a yoke, I learned the hard way that its easy to break things in this area.