16ft 1987 Bayliner Capri 2.3L OMC Cobra w/ Raw Water Cooling System WINTERIZATION

DJHile

Cadet
I am looking to winterize my boat myself this year. I understand that the 87 Bayliner Cobra OMC 2.3 uses the raw water cooling system and not a closed cooling system.

I recently watched a YouTube video (How to Winterize a Boat Step-By-Step - YouTube) where all he did was hook up muffs to the drive, then attach a jug of antifreeze, attached the hose to the jug, ran water through the drive for a while to clean everything out, and then switched over to the antifreeze to pump through the system.

I can see how this method would work on a closed cooling system, but would it work on a raw-rater system like mine? The way I understand raw-water cooling systems is that once the fluid has passed through the system, it is dumped back out into the original body of water it was sucked up from. It seems like the antifreeze would leak out over time, and/or, never fully fill the system to be winterized.

Anyone know if my thinking is correct, or if I am safe to use this method? I'd really like to as this is my first time ever winterizing a boat, i'm not a true mechanic, more of a DIY kind of guy on less technical projects so if I can keep from having to pull hoses, plugs, etc. (that I'm not even sure where to begin trying to track down) then it would be much more beneficial for me.

I still plan on stabilizing the fuel, fogging the carb, and oil changes on the engine and drive. Fuel system was just re-worked this year, so I think that the fuel lines/filter will still be good.

Thanks in advance for your input!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 16ft 1987 Bayliner Capri 2.3L OMC Cobra w/ Raw Water Cooling System WINTERIZATION

I am looking to winterize my boat myself this year. I understand that the 87 Bayliner Cobra OMC 2.3 uses the raw water cooling system and not a closed cooling system.

I recently watched a YouTube video (How to Winterize a Boat Step-By-Step - YouTube) where all he did was hook up muffs to the drive, then attach a jug of antifreeze, attached the hose to the jug, ran water through the drive for a while to clean everything out, and then switched over to the antifreeze to pump through the system.

I can see how this method would work on a closed cooling system, but would it work on a raw-rater system like mine? The way I understand raw-water cooling systems is that once the fluid has passed through the system, it is dumped back out into the original body of water it was sucked up from. It seems like the antifreeze would leak out over time, and/or, never fully fill the system to be winterized.

Anyone know if my thinking is correct, or if I am safe to use this method? ..................

Howdy,

There is a FAQ at the top of this forum list with instructions on how to winterize.

The problem using an anti-freeze mix with "muffs" is the thermostat doesn't fully open and you never really know if the concentration in the block is enough to do the job when you're done.

It's ALWAYS better to drain the block and manifold(s) fully by removing the plug/petcock and pushing a small thin screwdriver or piece of wire to clear the hole of any rust flakes or debris.

Regards,

Rick

Maclin

Admiral
Re: 16ft 1987 Bayliner Capri 2.3L OMC Cobra w/ Raw Water Cooling System WINTERIZATION

I quit watching when I saw him start the engine with the drive up and turned.

If you live in Mexico that method will work if you catch my drift. I would want to know more about where that boat is stored. Too many people with video cameras and boats and youtube accounts these days in my opinion.

Do some searching on this site on this subject as well as browse the stickies subjects at the top of the forum. Draining points are well documented, to do the antifreeze method correctly requires total draining first. Then once eveything is drained just stop there and save on the antifreeze and labor :)

Maclin

Admiral

HT's post was not in yet when I started, good stuff.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I quit watching when I saw him start the engine with the drive up and turned.
He does lose quite a bit of credibility with that stunt.