• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Getting ripped off on my OMC 235, 351w 1974, D4AE Block, Hunk of Junk?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ripped off on my OMC 235, 351w 1974, D4AE Block, Hunk of Junk?

Hey everyone! I'm Ben and I'm an alcoholic.

Just kidding. Well maybe... ha anyways this is my first post. I bought my 1977 Formula Thunderbird F20-CL for $400 plus a small HDTV so I thought that wasn't too shabby to get into the boating/engine fixin'-up scene.

Reason I'm posting is to see if my machine shop is screwing me over. I've never had an engine fully machined so I just wanna see what everyone thinks.

Mikes Automotive Machine Shop in St. Louis, MO is quoting me exactly $1860.65 for:

Completely machine block (bore, hone, decking), heads, valve job, sleeve valves,
    Install Freeze Plugs
    Install Cam Bearings
    Grind Crank
    New Engine Kit (Pistons, timing kit, valves, pushrods)
    Line Bore Main
    Straighten Rods/Machine them

Basically everything except putting the damn thing together.

They have good reviews on google and have been a staple in the community for a long while.

What do you all think?

Nice to meet you all, I'm here to stay and enjoy the pictures!
    Attached Files

Re: Getting ripped off on my OMC 235, 351w 1974, D4AE Block, Hunk of Junk?

engine pics before disassembly
    Attached Files

Comment

I don't think that you are getting ripped off . . . but. . . you can always shop around.

Also, you may want to evaluate alternative to rebuilding, perhaps buying a long block.
      Best regards,
      Formula 330 Sun Sport
      Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 0F802039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 0F806199)
      1969 Mercury 7.5 HP Outboard (26346XX)
      My F-330 Web Site: http://home.comcast.net/~tpenfield/F...30SS/Home.html
      My F-242 Web Site: http://home.comcast.net/~tpenfield/W...Boat_Page.html
      Member of the Month - February 2013
      http://www.iboats.com/blog/tpenfield...-of-the-month/

Comment

Welcome to iboats!

That is actually a fair price. It is nothing to spend $2k on a long block rebuild. Hence the reason why it is often times more advantageous to simply buy a crate engine. Don't ask me how I know this to be true.

Good luck!

BTW, not to ruin your day...but have you priced new exhaust manifolds and risers yet? If not, here's a heads up...budget another $600-800 dollars.

Comment

That price isnt too bad but In my area I can get a complete remanufactured marine long block for $1500 w/ core return. Shop around. My block is cracked so I will be replacing soon. Also, you must buy new manifolds and risers.

The stock part numbers for the manifolds on your engine are the same as on my GM 350(909215 & 909216). This is the replacement manifold kit I bought and it fits perfectly: http://www.boatpartheadquarters.com/.../glm-58410.htm
          1979 Cobalt 18TH
          OMC 260 Engine(GM 5.7L V8)/OMC 800 Hydro-Mechanical Stringer Drive

A picture is worth a thousand words. Having a problem? A picture will get you more responses.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbrookstone View Post
            They have good reviews on google and have been a staple in the community for a long while.
            worth the price of admission right there, but what was the diagnosis on the motor? compression test? did you pressure test the cooling system to check for cracked block etc?

you can always just look for a good running car/truck 351W too and swap the core plugs to brass, and swap in your marine cam, or even look for a running 5.8 in a junker boat.
            Baba-buoy.

Comment

Don't know if one still can but we use to buy new marine base engines from Ford for less than that. Even a reman engine from somewhere like Jasper Engines comes assembled with a warranty.
              In that list I don't see lifters, push rods, oil pump, gasket kit or seals. All that would come with a reman engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Sterndrive View Post
                ...or even look for a running 5.8 in a junker boat.
                I'm with Howard. I'm not sure I would put that kinda' money into a Stringer drive again. I can probably get a lake ready boat in good shape for another $700 this time of year.
                ---------

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by Nivekt View Post
                  That price isnt too bad but In my area I can get a complete remanufactured marine long block for $1500 w/ core return. Shop around. My block is cracked so I will be replacing soon. Also, you must buy new manifolds and risers.

The stock part numbers for the manifolds on your engine are the same as on my GM 350(909215 & 909216). This is the replacement manifold kit I bought and it fits perfectly: OMC Complete Exhaust Manifold Kit (V8 SB)
                  Ayuh,... Since when, will a set of Chevy manifolds bolt onto a Ford head,..??
                  Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Originally posted by Bond-o View Post
                    Ayuh,... Since when, will a set of Chevy manifolds bolt onto a Ford head,..??
                    Double checked what I originally looked up and it looks like we use the same risers (part #909218) but our manifolds are different. My '79 uses the 909279 & 909280 manifolds and his '77 OMC 235 uses 909215 & 909216 manifolds. Im not seeing any aftermarket manifold kits for his setup that are log style, rear rise. All I see is center rise but for newer setups.

Ill keep digging.

*Edit* Man, I've scoured over all my usual sources and even Ebay and still dont see anything. Davidbrookstone, this may be a deal breaker for this whole setup if you arent able to source some new manifolds. I would not dare hook those old manifolds up to a new engine. Way too risky.
                    1979 Cobalt 18TH

A picture is worth a thousand words. Having a problem? A picture will get you more responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Sterndrive View Post
                      worth the price of admission right there, but what was the diagnosis on the motor? compression test? did you pressure test the cooling system to check for cracked block etc?

you can always just look for a good running car/truck 351W too and swap the core plugs to brass, and swap in your marine cam, or even look for a running 5.8 in a junker boat.
                      Machine shop says the block and heads are good to be machined, I would hope they pressure tested the cooling system , I''ll double check with them on Monday.

If I find a good cheap running 351w does it matter what year it is? Also, isn't the crankshaft different? Or are truck and boat cranks the same?

Thanks for your reply

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Nivekt View Post
                        Double checked what I originally looked up and it looks like we use the same risers (part #909218) but our manifolds are different. My '79 uses the 909279 & 909280 manifolds and his '77 OMC 235 uses 909215 & 909216 manifolds. Im not seeing any aftermarket manifold kits for his setup that are log style, rear rise. All I see is center rise but for newer setups.
                        Could I just use these center rise manifolds and rig a flex pipe to the intermediate?

Comment

Thanks for everyones input... you guys have gotten me thinking about just purchasing a long block on the internet or buying locally.

Which engine out of these would you guys pick? (I was liking the Police Interceptor version 89-91) that according to wikipedia has about 255hp.

5.8L 351 CUI - FORD EngineGuy

OR

351 w Marine Engine Ford Motor Mercruiser 5 8L 030 No Core Charge 3 Days | eBay

I also found a few truck 351w's on craigs that I'm thinking about (just swapping the cams):

351w engine FS/FT
                          351 W "roller" engine
                          Ford F150 1984 351W 5.8L Engine

I like the peace of mind of the re-manufactured long blocks, but if I can get a running one for 300-450 thats very tempting!

What do you guys think?

Comment

Thanks for everyones input... you guys have gotten me thinking about just purchasing a long block on the internet or buying locally.

Which engine out of these would you guys pick? (I was liking the Police Interceptor version 89-91) that according to wikipedia has about 255hp.

5.8L 351 CUI - FORD EngineGuy

OR

351 w Marine Engine Ford Motor Mercruiser 5 8L 030 No Core Charge 3 Days | eBay

I also found a few truck 351w's on craigs that I'm thinking about (just swapping the cams):

351w engine FS/FT
                            351 W "roller" engine
                            Ford F150 1984 351W 5.8L Engine

I like the peace of mind of the re-manufactured long blocks, but if I can get a running one for 300-450 thats very tempting!

What do you guys think?
                            Man, I'm in the exact same 'boat' as you regarding used vs. remanufactured. There are lots of deals around my area for used motors that fit my application, minus swapping in my cam and new freeze plugs, but the great variable is how much you trust the seller.

Now, I have no idea the differences between the various model years of 351w motors, but I do know that with Chevy blocks, only certain years could be used with the OMC Stringer setups because the exhaust housing bolt pattern. Make sure you define exactly what range blocks will work with your exhaust housing before you drop the coin.

If you decide to go the used car/truck engine route, just be prepared that with your lack of knowledge(and mine) that you may end up completely having to rebuild an engine because you thought you were getting a great deal.
                            1979 Cobalt 18TH

Comment

Could I just use these center rise manifolds and rig a flex pipe to the intermediate?

That is outside of my experience to guide you. Hopefully someone with direct experience will chime in. I can tell you that until you nail down this variable, I wouldnt make any other moves financially about an engine. It may be that your best bet is to switch everything over to a Chevy setup where parts are more readily available.
                              1979 Cobalt 18TH

Comment

Working...
                              X