Shifter / throttle cable frozen

Giantology

Recruit
Hi there,
I was hoping you guys could give me a hand with something I hope is not a huge problem. I have a 1988 bayliner with a 2.3 liter ford engine and an OTC cobra out drive. The boat has not been used in over a year and now I can not get it to go in to forward or reverse. The shifter moves fine in neutral but when trying to put in gear it barely moves forward and does not even budge in reverse. One of my customers was telling me the cable is frozen and it is probable at the top of the out drive. I am new to working on marine applications. I can handle the motor because it is like a car engine but after that I am inexperienced. How would I get to the cables. If anybody has any pictures with instructions that would be amazing. Thank you in advance.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Shifter / throttle cable frozen

The cable isn't frozen. What the cable is connected to is frozen. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you additional information.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi there,
I was hoping you guys could give me a hand with something I hope is not a huge problem. I have a 1988 bayliner with a 2.3 liter ford engine and an OTC cobra out drive. The boat has not been used in over a year and now I can not get it to go in to forward or reverse. The shifter moves fine in neutral but when trying to put in gear it barely moves forward and does not even budge in reverse. One of my customers was telling me the cable is frozen and it is probable at the top of the out drive. I am new to working on marine applications. I can handle the motor because it is like a car engine but after that I am inexperienced. How would I get to the cables. If anybody has any pictures with instructions that would be amazing. Thank you in advance.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.. Back in the motorbox, you'll find where the controller cables go too...

1 to the carb, 'n 1 to the shift plate...

Disconnect 'em, 'n see if the controller controls the cables, 'n how easily...

If the forward cable from the controller is Ok, then most likely yer Lower shift cable needs to be Replaced....

Giantology

Recruit

Does the fact that the cable moves perfectly in neutral mean anything or are they 2 different cables. In neutral the accelerator works and the motor revs as it should.

Giantology

Recruit

Ayuh,...

If the forward cable from the controller is Ok, then most likely yer Lower shift cable needs to be Replaced....

Thank you for the welcome. By lower shifter cable do you mean the one going to the out drive from the motor.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The transom assy. it has a lever called a bellcrank.It gets fouled and won't move.
The water/sand etc. gets in and turns hard and needs to be cleaned.
When taking apart the mechanism. make sure you count the turns to remove any screws or take pics.
VERY IMPORTANT to remember where the original settings are?
http://www.**********/images/diagrams/omc/IMAGES/985757/16.png??? Part #42
If you don't you will need the tools to set the bellcrank.