Need validation for new project boat 1995 FW 240 horizon OMC Cobra 5.8L

anthonysjo

Seaman
View attachment 172724

Hello all,

I just acquired a 1995 Four Winns 240 Horizon with a 5.8L OMC Cobra. I have done some reading up but also having a hard time finding exactly what I am looking for and I am running short on time as it is time to winterize. I plan to order the service manual for the motor and drive but have not been able to find one other than an online version so if anyone can tell me where to find what I need I would appreciate it. I will put my thoughts down on what I am thinking of doing and please let me know if I am missing anything or if my plan should be changed. I am new to OMC and somewhat new to Inboards in general, although I have done some work on Merc before.

I have a set of muffs and just borrowed a oil extractor so my first plan is to warm the motor for 10 to 15 min after putting fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank then pump the oil out and change the filter. I plant to use Castrol 10W-40 as it appears there is no real must have when it comes to the oil. Once complete with that I will pull the freeze plugs and drain all the water (specifics on how amny plugs, location, and what hoses would be helpful. I will then pull the top hose off the thermostat and fill with RV antifreeze until it comes out the drive. Do I put the plugs back in before filling with antifreeze or just leave them out till summer? The motor is fuel injected so not sure how I can fog it so any ideas there would be helpful. Also plan to change the gear lube in the lower unit with 2 quarts Mobil 1 75W-90. If someone could let me know the exact fill procedures I would appreciate it at it sounds like they are different than a Merc where you fill from the bottom.

Other than that I don't have much more planned other than the little things like storing the battery. I have read a bit about spraying the motor with a anti corrosion product so if you could provide some product recommendations and the process that would be good too.

This boat was a rental prior to my purchase and I really don't have much in it. Wit 1000 hours according to the meter I am looking to do a little work and have a boat for enjoyment. If there are any other general things I should check out or do prior to next year let me know. It will be a long winter and I would like to get them now vs. trying to deal with them next summer when it is play time.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need validation for new project boat 1995 FW 240 horizon OMC Cobra 5.8L

Howdy,

There is a couple of "Sticky" messages in this forum you can refer to for general maintenance, winterization etc.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=468655

OMC did have recommendations for engine and drive oil. If you want to use an oil other than what they suggest, do a search for oil here on iBoats. You'll find plenty of "here's what I use threads" Knock yourself out!

If you want to look up OMC part numbers for your engine and drive, go to http://epc.brp.com/

I hope you realize that you have an engine and drive from a company that went out of business nearly 15 years ago.

Some parts are no longer available, especially EFI parts like the ECM. If it's running good, keep your fingers crossed!

Good luck,

Rick

anthonysjo

Seaman

Ok I have the hoses pulled on the thermostat, off the exhaust, and drains opened on each side of the block, so I should be getting close to the emergency stuff since we are supposed to have freezing weather in the next few days. Did go and get SAE30 which is what is recommended based on what I read.

I understand that OMC is no longer in business and parts can be a little difficult to find. Should I cut loose of this boat and look for something else or is it just a little more difficult to find parts. I would also like to know if the outdrive is the same as the Volvo and if parts are swappable. I will try to get a picture later today but I am also looking for the screws to drain the outdrive and I am not seeing them even though I have seen pictures on where they should be so maybe someone can tell me the exact drive I have based off the numbers I provided in the original post.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Ok I have the hoses pulled on the thermostat, off the exhaust, and drains opened on each side of the block, so I should be getting close to the emergency stuff since we are supposed to have freezing weather in the next few days. Did go and get SAE30 which is what is recommended based on what I read.

I understand that OMC is no longer in business and parts can be a little difficult to find. Should I cut loose of this boat and look for something else or is it just a little more difficult to find parts. I would also like to know if the outdrive is the same as the Volvo and if parts are swappable. I will try to get a picture later today but I am also looking for the screws to drain the outdrive and I am not seeing them even though I have seen pictures on where they should be so maybe someone can tell me the exact drive I have based off the numbers I provided in the original post.

Most of the N/A parts are associated with some Electronic fuel injection parts. Although everything crosses over to Volvo Penta parts. Right around 95/96 or so, the drive's became Volvo Penta SX drives.

I do not know if your drive is an SX. If it is, your drive will not be a problem. You might check with a Volvo Penta dealer.

The following is a pretty good online manual. http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html#