1987 4.3l omc won't start after doing tune-up

markwh

Cadet
i've just did everything i can thing of to my engine this summer,, i changed my coil, plugs, distributor cap, rotor,cond ensor, carb kit and fuel filter, water separator and it would still fire up until i changed the cap,condensor and points now its won't start it almost does, when i hold the choke wide open but no go. so i'm wondering do i have to adjust the timing now, and can i do it by ear, or do i need a gun, and do i just loosen bolt on distributor and turn it 3 degrees at a time clockwise or counter not sure what way, 21 deg and sunny, hoping 1 last ride or more before the snow flies

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1987 4.3l omc won't start after doing tune-up

i've just did everything i can thing of to my engine this summer,, i changed my coil, plugs, distributor cap, rotor,cond ensor, carb kit and fuel filter, water separator and it would still fire up until i changed the cap,condensor and points now its won't start it almost does, when i hold the choke wide open but no go. so i'm wondering do i have to adjust the timing now, and can i do it by ear, or do i need a gun, and do i just loosen bolt on distributor and turn it 3 degrees at a time clockwise or counter not sure what way, 21 deg and sunny, hoping 1 last ride or more before the snow flies

Ayuh,.... Did you set the points,..?? Dwell,..?? 'n yes, the timing changes, when ya set the points...

'n,.. Yes, you NEED a timin' light...

markwh

Cadet
Re: 1987 4.3l omc won't start after doing tune-up

never set points, or dwell any help with that would be appreciated thanks mark