1987 beachcraft 179k 4.3 coil problems

ryanpenn

Recruit
i got a 1987 beach craft 179k with a 4.3 omc,The coil wire has a clamp on it and the guy i got the boat from told me i need to clip it to the + on the battery to start the boat, To day my boat broke down.. The coil has a crack all the way around the top and it had something bubbling out but was still running so i figured i would just head back home but i let it sit for about a hour before i tryed to start it again, the coil started smoking a lot so i unhooked the wire and it stopped, so im assuming i need to replace it, i have a flame thrower coil i was going to us for my car but never did its for a v6 or v8 can i use i on the boat or will it cause problems? and how do i wire it the right way because i think the way it was hooked up is what caused it to mess up, thanks

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: 1987 beachcraft 179k 4.3 coil problems

An OMC person will be along and square you away if I blow this. Most engines in that time frame had a lower voltage to the coil. Some had resistor wires that dropped the voltage and some had a resistor near the coil. When you jumped the coil to the battery it received too much voltage.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Lyle is right on the money. You can just replace the coil with one marked "?nternal resistor", if you don't want to be bothered fixing the failed or missing resistor wire. An "internal resistor" coil can handle the full 12V from your "clamp"...
TSC sells one for $40
ditch the clamp. sounds dangerous.

KX6D

Seaman

x3! The guys above are exactly correct!

A coil steps up the voltage from 12V (or 9V actually) to about 20,000 to 40,000 volts depending on your coil. Its this high voltage that causes the spark across your spark plug gap.

Most set-ups have a long resistive wire that connects to your + terminal on your coil. Some actually use a "ballast resistor" that changes resistance as it heats.

You may see TWO wires going to your + terminal on your coil as well. One is the resistive wire (or the wire from the ballast resistor) and the other is coming from the start solenoid. The one from the start solenoid delivers the full 12V when the engine is cranking. Once the engine is running, only the resistive wire (9V) is powering the coil.

What has happened in your case is that the coil was fed with too much voltage and it caused it to overheat and crack. The bubbling you heard was the internal oil boiling. The oil is used to cool the internal windings. Once the oil was gone, the smoke you saw was most likely the windings burning up...or the residual oil evaporating.

Mind you, this is me giving you my opinion, sight unseen! I'm making some assumptions here and I'm not specifically familiar with your set-up! Your mileage may vary! ;)

Get the boat fixed right by someone who knows what they are doing! Enjoy your Beachcraft! I have one too!

Dino - KX6D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need a new coil for sure, but don't get one with an internal resistor. Your system has a resistor wire from the engine harness to the + terminal of the coil. The reason for that extra wire was probably because the wire going from the + terminal of the coil to the outer small terminal on the starter solenoid is missing (usually means you have an automotive starter not marine),
That wire is what put full battery voltage to the coil for starting, without it, you would need the jumper wire.

ryanpenn

Recruit

so then if since the wire i have going straight to the battery is probably because i have a car starter instead of a marine one, should i keep using the wire after i get a new coil, and if i do keep using it do i unhook it after i start the boat? how would i hook it up the right way so it doesn't need that wire? thanks for all your answers there vary helpfull

southkogs

Staff member

... is probably because i have a car starter instead of a marine one...
Best answer is to get a marine starter. You have a higher risk of spark with an automotive starter (marine starters are built to help abate spark), and a higher potential for gas fumes to build up in a boat ... you're risking a Ka-Boom!

KX6D

Seaman

so then if since the wire i have going straight to the battery is probably because i have a car starter instead of a marine one, should i keep using the wire after i get a new coil, and if i do keep using it do i unhook it after i start the boat? how would i hook it up the right way so it doesn't need that wire? thanks for all your answers there vary helpfull

Give this a look and let us know if you have any questions...
http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser7.html#/214

Dino - KX6D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Give this a look and let us know if you have any questions...
http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser7.html#/214

Dino - KX6D
That is a mercruiser manual. OP has an OMC.

This would be better to get an understanding of the wiring:

Cobra%20Engine%20Wiring.gif

the PU/R would be the resistor wire or there would be a ballast resistor in place of it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Ooppss! :facepalm: But they are both showing basically the same thing.

Dino - KX6D
When the manual first opened for me it didn't go straight to the ignition drawing...it went to the main page. I see what you were trying to show now. Yes, basically the same.

KX6D

Seaman

When the manual first opened for me it didn't go straight to the ignition drawing...it went to the main page. I see what you were trying to show now. Yes, basically the same.
I always check my links before posting, to make sure they work. Maybe mine went staright to it becasue it was already in the buffer.