1987 Bayliner 17' Capri 2.3 Cobra Drivability Issues

snowman6464

Banned
Just purchased recently and put out on the water for first time today. Engine will rev up fine in neutral and idle fine. When I launched boat and put boat in gear under a load the engine backfires through the carb and will not go over 3000 RPM without bogging down. No power whatsoever under a load. Flooded out once on me and barely could get to start back up. Will not go over 20 MPH. Any suggestions?

Maclin

Admiral
Re: 1987 Bayliner 17' Capri 2.3 Cobra Drivability Issues

First thoughts are that the carb is needing attention, but it works in concert with the ignition so it may not be the only component involved. Also fuel filter(s) need to be replaced with symtpoms like those.

When was the last full ignition tune up? If that is not known, or the quality of it not known then I would do that first. Weak ignition can cause some of those symptoms.

New points and condenser and cap and rotor and spark plugs, gap the points then check them using a dwell meter and regap as needed, then set timing. Check the centrifugal advance by turning rotor to see if it smoothly moves a few degress then snaps back.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

sounds like a fuel delivery issue, but ignition issues can create the same symptom... In fact about 20 things can cause that symptom, thus the recommendation above for doing a full tune up.
gasreference.png

snowman6464

Banned

Was just wondering if anyone with same powertrain have experienced same issue. Will try ignition tune and go from there. Thanks.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

other possibility on a 2.3 is timing belt - jumped a tooth or missing some rubber teeth off the belt

snowman6464

Banned

Purchased all tune up parts and am going to tune tomorrow. Also found that mechanical advance is not snapping back. (Thanks Maclin) Off work tomorrow so hopefully tune and whatever I find wrong with distributor advance will solve problem.

snowman6464

Banned

Timing belt was replaced by previous owner. I checked cam timing mark through access hole in timing belt cover and timing marks on cover to crank mark. All is good and belt is new.