King Cobra Bearing Housing Removal Tool

02gixxersix

Recruit
I hate that this has to be my first post. I just bought my first boat, a 1986 Baja Sport 200. It has a 350 and cone-clutch King Cobra outdrive so not original power. I am told by a marine part store rep that based on the model number on the drive it is from 1991. Anyway, I took the boat out once and ended up with a ton of water in the outdrive oil. I bought a seal kit and resealed the lower unit, but cannot get the bearing housing torqued. I also can't find the number for the removal tool anywhere. I bought what I thought was the right tool and it turns out it is the spanner for the driveshaft. The part number in the crappy manual that I have is 914684 but when I google it I can tell that it definitely won't work. There are 4 little slots for the adapter to mate to the bearing housing and obviously it has to slide over the prop shaft. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: King Cobra Bearing Housing Removal Tool

I am told by a marine part store rep that based on the model number on the drive it is from 1991.

Howdy,

It would be really nice if you post that model number. Maybe the marine part store rep is mistaken.......

You can check by going to http://epc.brp.com/

I would contact http://www.sterndrive.info/ for info on tools. They'll probably have it.

If not, you may have to just make one.

It it really is the 91 Cone drive, you have a REALLY rare drive. baby it. (and start looking for a replacement) many parts are NLA.

Regards,

Rick

02gixxersix

Recruit

Hey thanks for the response. I didn't do enough research before I bought the boat and I honestly didn't think anything of it because I had come across countless boats with OMC drives for sale when I was searching. I checked with sterndrive before and they said they do not have any parts for the King Cobras but I'll ask again about tools. I haven't had trouble getting anything yet as from what I understand the drives got REALLY rare in 1992 when they made some changes.

Anyway, I have checked through that catalog as well and the problem is I don't have the engine tag only the tag on the outdrive. The model # on the outdrive is 986704 and the serial # is t0729169. It's def a cone clutch. I managed to get the bearing housing out using a brass punch to loosen it and then a screwdriver across the external screws. I have it almost all the way back in but according to the manual it needs 200-225 ft-lbs and I am definitely not getting that by wedging a screwdriver or pry bar across a few bolts.

Rick

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Not sure where you found a picture of 914684 but it is the right tool.
http://www.jmsonline.net/omc-prop-hsg-rem-inst-914684.htm
This tool is also used by Volvo Penta their p/n is 3850707
http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-56627-volvo-penta-grip-tool-3850707.aspx

Looking at that tool, I'll bet you could make one if you had access to some machine shop tools etc.

With the right size piece of pipe/steel-tubing and a grinder you might make something close enough to work.

02gixxersix

Recruit

You guys are awesome and I'm an idiot lol. I was looking for a tool to line up with the keys toward the center of the housing right around the prop shaft which is what the other tool I bought does. However, there is no place on that to put a wrench. That tool will grab the 3 arms that extend to the outer circle of the housing which makes 100x more sense since it will be easier to put that much torque on it from the outermost portion. I can't believe I didn't realize that lol. Anyway, I order it and it will be here Thurs. $143. Thanks again.

On a side note I will not be ordering from boat.net again. They want a 20% restocking fee for the first spanner that I ordered that was the wrong part which I think it is ridiculous. Haven't seen a restocking fee in years. Marinepartsource is awesome though. They are the only store that could find the seals I needed for the lower unit based off the model number and they had the best price on this tool.

Cross you fingers for me that this drive holds up because I do like the boat.

You guys are awesome and I'm an idiot lol. I was looking for a tool to line up with the keys toward the center of the housing right around the prop shaft which is what the other tool I bought does. However, there is no place on that to put a wrench. That tool will grab the 3 arms that extend to the outer circle of the housing which makes 100x more sense since it will be easier to put that much torque on it from the outermost portion. I can't believe I didn't realize that lol. Anyway, I order it and it will be here Thurs. $143. Thanks again.

On a side note I will not be ordering from boat.net again. They want a 20% restocking fee for the first spanner that I ordered that was the wrong part which I think it is ridiculous. Haven't seen a restocking fee in years. Marinepartsource is awesome though. They are the only store that could find the seals I needed for the lower unit based off the model number and they had the best price on this tool.

Cross you fingers for me that this drive holds up because I do like the boat.

good luck