1987 OMC 4.3 liter distributor replacement.

hayward6

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
I apologize if I'm posting this wrong, I'm just getting started out on this forum.

I have a 1987 Chaparal with an OMC cobra outdrive and 4.3L GM engine. I guess they original came with a point ignition system and at some point a previous owner updated it to electronic. The other day I was headed out to do some fishing and it stalled out, and then got me back to the ramp running on maybe half the cylinders. I got home and pulled the distributor cap to find that all of the magnets around the rotor flew apart... They were originally taped down with a piece of green tape.

I'm having an awful time trying to track down this replacement part they call a "magnetic assembly" or something to that effect. Its meant to slip over the cam and act as a spacer between the new pickup plate and the old rotor.

Questions are these... Can this be purchased? If it can't what options do I have for buying a used distributor? I went to the junk yard but quickly found that the 1987 4.3 gm truck had a completely different setup... Does anyone know if I can get a one wire HEI distributor that will fit and work properly?

Thank you,

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 OMC 4.3 liter distributor replacement.

Any aftermarket electronic distributor or Pertronix(maybe what you have) type setup inside your current distributor will require some sort of modifications to allow your ESA to work.

The DELCO EST is a good replacement. You would want to get a CDI ESA to replace your current ESA or rewire your shift switch to act like a Mercruiser system to interrupt the spark at the distributor.

hayward6

Seaman Apprentice

Any aftermarket electronic distributor or Pertronix(maybe what you have) type setup inside your current distributor will require some sort of modifications to allow your ESA to work.

The DELCO EST is a good replacement. You would want to get a CDI ESA to replace your current ESA or rewire your shift switch to act like a Mercruiser system to interrupt the spark at the distributor.

Thank you for the response!
Ok, I wasn't even aware of the electronic shift assist until I read about it elsewhere on this forum... So that will be the thing keeping me from just ripping this one out and going with a 1 wire? I completely rebuilt this motor myself, but outside of the engine I have a lot to learn about boats...

The conversion kits are very expensive bought as a whole, so I was hoping I could just get this one piece. And yes I have matched it up with some others and I think it is Pertronix.

Thank you,

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

with a piece of green tape.
that sure sounds like Pertronix.
pertronix2.jpg

you can probably purchase a new wheel from Pertronix, but the issue might happen again if your old Prestolite distributor's shaft bushings are wobbly.
If the shaft is nice and tight, probably easiest to contact them and replace it.

hayward6

Seaman Apprentice

that sure sounds like Pertronix.
pertronix2.jpg

you can probably purchase a new wheel from Pertronix, but the issue might happen again if your old Prestolite distributor's shaft bushings are wobbly.
If the shaft is nice and tight, probably easiest to contact them and replace it.

Ok I just got off the phone with Pertronix and I need to buy a whole new set, they have changes designs a few times on this distributor and they don't have back stock anymore. It's $107 so not bad really... I'll go ahead and buy it and probably a new rotor and cap while I'm at it. The distributor is in real good shape mechanically or I would swap it out completely.

Thank you for the help!

hayward6

Seaman Apprentice

I thought I would give this thread another update in case anyone else should run into a similar issue. Last night after posting I went out and put all the magnets back in the holes around the assembly and taped it down with a strong piece of packing tape. This tape seems stronger than what was there and I figured I would be good to go. The engine started right up but was running a little rough. I found that cylinders 5 and 6 were not firing. Today I did some research on pertronix parts and found a tip I hadn't thought of. I checked and found that I had 2 of the magnets in the wrong way... meaning that polarity does matter on these assemblies. Now that I have the magnets in just the right place I'll be glueing them in place and cleaning it up and adding a new piece of tape. I'm still going to replace the unit since this one is getting old, but for the short term or if you were stuck out in the water this is an easy repair to get you home.

Thank you,

Can someone tell me what brand electronic this is in my 95 4.3L V6 and what do I ask for a rotor and Cap. The cap has a notch out the back , don't see how it is sealed. I was expecting points and a round bottom dist cap. So what do I have?

I forgot the picture of my distributor of the 95 4.3L
boat distributor.JPG
This is the original cap and rotor