OMC Cobra taking on water through holes in lower transom

AarondAdams

Recruit
Hello all,

I was hoping someone could help me figure out why my Cobra is taking on water. I just replaced the bellows and gimble, and the problem got worse. I raised the front of the boat up and filled the hull with water. As water began to pour out, I noticed it was coming from the bottom of the transom.I pulled the lower anode and saw water streaming out of the two bottom holes.

I have searched online and through my manual, but I cannot figure out what these holes do or how to fix the leak. I thoroughly checked the transom seal for rot or cracks. Everything seems to be fine there. In fact, the hull held water when I plugged the two holes.

Lastly, the boat is a 1989 Chris Craft with Chevy 5.0L OMC Cobra drive. I finally got it to start shifting and running smooth, but now its sinking!

Here is a pic of the holes I am reffering too. I hope it loads correctly.
cobratransom.jpg

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Cobra taking on water through holes in lower transom

These are exhaust relief holes. If you are leaking out of these, the y-pipe isnt sealing or is cracked.

AarondAdams

Recruit

These are exhaust relief holes. If you are leaking out of these, the y-pipe isnt sealing or is cracked.

Can I plug them? Just to get by? We're all set to go to Powell for labor day, I don't want to miss it!

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Can I plug them? Just to get by? We're all set to go to Powell for labor day, I don't want to miss it!

There is no easy way out with that problem, you will have to pull out the motor and replace the "Y" pipe

AarondAdams

Recruit

Well, I pulled the motor last week and fixed the problem. Two of the y pipe bolts were loose, and the other two were missing. I am really surprised how fast the motor came out and went back in. It worked great for Powell! Now I just need to tune up the shifting. Its hard coming out of gear and reverse is sometimes unreliable.

Thanks for all of your help!

Aaron

REM 6824

Cadet

Did you recheck you driveshaft alignment after putting the motor back in?

AarondAdams

Recruit

Did you recheck you driveshaft alignment after putting the motor back in?

I did. And the outdrive slid right into place without any problems. I think my lower shift cable is binding though. I will be replacing it soon.

Thanks again,

Aaron Adams

Horsehaulin

Recruit
Well I am in the same place as you but with my 87 3.0 equipped OMC with Cobra drive. Sucks that I have to pull the engine though.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Horse, welcome!, you should start your own thread.
The original is a couple of years old.