Idle and starting problems after pertronix install

astuckey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have a 4.3 cobra, that has had idle problems, since I installed the pertronix ignitor 2 module. The timing is set correctly, and the ignitor 2 module is hooked up to the alternator, at a switched source. Interestingly, the problem only happens when the engine is not completely warmed up yet. Also, I looked at the magnetic pickup, and the ignitor module, and both had wear on them. It looked as if there was no gap between the magnetic pickup, and the ignitor. I GENTLY applied pressure to the ignitor to try to bend it back, and got a slight gap. Same problem. I called pertronix, and they said that the slight, or no gap wouldn't affect the preformance, it would only cause the pickup and ignitor to wear. I put an inline spark tester on a few cylenders, and the spark was sometimes strong, sometimes weak, and sometimes, no spark at all.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, I have a prestolite, IBM 7021 distributed, and a ignitor 2 #91563B

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

astuckey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Idle and starting problems after pertronix install

Anyone?

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So once the engine is up to temp, everything is fine? I'd say screw it and run it.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer

What about the coil? did you upgrade the coil as well?

I also checked Pertronix website and they claim that at low rpm (around idle speed) your dwell control is less than that with standard points. May be no problem at all, as long as it starts fine.

http://pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor2/default.aspx

astuckey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's good to know, however, I do have starting problems. I will check out the dwell, with a dwell meter. Also, I have the flamethrower 2 coil.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

did it idle well with points?

triple check the firing order of the wires if any were removed.

Is the flamethrower getting 12V, or fed from the old resistor wire to the old coil?
(I'm not sure which is correct either - despite reading a gazillion different discussions on that - eventually putting my Flamethrower on eBay because who knows?)

personally, I'm a lover of the stock coil setup on a boat.
9000V is all your plugs probably ever require during operation if properly gapped.

astuckey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am pretty sure it is a problem with the adaptive dwell control of the ignitor 2. At idle, it reads below 10, and the book says 39?2. I found out some stuff about the ignitor 2 having this problem, with some 6 cylinder engines. I will call pertronix....again.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer

Good luck ... If it gets too frustrating you can always send it back and get a mallory unilite

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Or put your points back in or chuck the whole distributor and put in a Delco EST.

Your problem is why I would never put Pertronix in.

astuckey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ya, I'm considering swapping it for the ignitor 1, I did some reading and apparently it only happens with the ignitor 2.

Gpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure about marine usage, but I had an old antique tractor that I put an Ignitor 1 kit in. Best money I ever spent. Started, idled, and ran 100% better. Plus, no points to mess with again. As per Howard's post, primary resistance is critical with these units. If memory serves, they require 5-8 ohms resistance, same as points. You can either use a standard coil with an external resistor, or a Pertronix Flamethrower coil with a built-in resistor. That's what I did and I never had any issues out of my old Massey.