1987 Baylner w/OMC 5.0L Floods after accelaration

Recruit
Hello,
I have a 1987 Bayliner 2450 Ciera with an OMC 5.0L
The boat sounds good at idle and will run fine going about 5mph but when we give it throttle it starts cutting out then dies. After it dies you can see gas coming out of the top of carb were it's connected to throttle. The only way to get it running again is to crank the engine over until it burns the gas out and then it runs great again. I have a new carb, new fuel pump, new spark plugs and I just bought a fuel pressure gauge so I can see what pressure it's getting. Any help is appreciated!

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Baylner w/OMC 5.0L Floods after accelaration

Stuck or improperly set float or float valve.. or possibly blocked passage in the carb... when you speed up, there are many things that happen, one.. the volume of gas increases from the pump, which can overcome a float valve that seems to be working at idle... also, there is a surge in the fuel bowl from acceleration that causes the float to move - if improperly set, this can allow more fuel to enter the bowl than it can hold... right out of the top of the carb.. if your carb is a proper marine carb, this fuel should be directed in to the venturies.. If you are using a automotive carb.. this fuel will spill out all over the top of the intake... and in a boat, that's an explosion waiting to happen.. can you show us a picture of the carb and tell us where the fuel is coming from?