3.0 4 cyl OMC alternator car part?

Ginkof

Recruit
I have a 1985 OMC 3.0 with a stringer 400. I looks like i need a new alternator. Is this alternator the same as any car GM made? $80 sounds much more appealing then $340!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 3.0 4 cyl OMC alternator car part?

it is similar to a car part, and if you are handy with disassembly and assembly of the housings, you can probably take the SAE J1711 spark suppression screens out of your old one and convert the car alternator to marine (the screens are what make it explosion proof for use in the enclosed engine compartment)
or, if you look on ebay, you'll probably find an offshore replacement marine rated for around $75 - probably the same quality as the $80 car unit you are looking at
hard to say if the $300 one is any better - but you usually get what you pay for - but not always
check here on iboats too - sometimes some pretty good deals

Maclin

Admiral

If you can find one in your area, a good rebuild shop can rebuild yours for about that price I bet. That way you know it will fit and meet CG specs.

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dude, this is one of the parts that absolutely needs to be a marine part. Just last week a boat blew up on a lake here in AZ. Only one person on board got burned and bruised. Not a good idea to use an auto/car alternator. Remeber She is not an investment. Be safe!