tach wont go above 1700 omc 3.0L

tonyjklh

Cadet
when I got the boat the tach hardly worked at all. so I pulled it out and it had a stamp on the back that said v8 only!!
I purchased a brand new oem tach that was meant for the omc 3.0. but it will not go above 1700. I tried wiring it with new wired and no difference. does anyone have a suggestion?

cr2k

Captain
Re: tach wont go above 1700 omc 3.0L

Did you set the switch on it for 4 cyl operation?

Darringer

Cadet

I know you are dealing with a new tach. But there is an easy way to double check the tach. It can be hooked up to a regular car battery charger. If the tach is good, it will read 1800rpm. I check suspect tachs for accuracy
this way all of the time.

tonyjklh

Cadet

So the place I bought this tach from is saying they can't take it back. They asked what engine I was using it with, I told them the omc 3.0. They said it was meant for the omc 130 only and now won't take it back.
THATS THE SAME ENGINE.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you wont find any place that takes back electrical components. doesnt matter if its for a boat, car, computer, etc.

tonyjklh

Cadet

you wont find any place that takes back electrical components. doesnt matter if its for a boat, car, computer, etc.

I understand that. But it's ridicules to sell faulty products for 75$ and do nothing about it. And to make up an excuse rather than just saying so.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You haven't proven it is faulty. The only thing you proved is that is behaving exactly like the original. That points to installation or wiring issues - not a defective productl Give us a tach manufacturer and model number, post a picture of the back of it, and tell us how you have it wired. We can't see your boat so all we have to go with is what you tell/show us.

tonyjklh

Cadet

You haven't proven it is faulty. The only thing you proved is that is behaving exactly like the original. That points to installation or wiring issues - not a defective productl Give us a tach manufacturer and model number, post a picture of the back of it, and tell us how you have it wired. We can't see your boat so all we have to go with is what you tell/show us.

The original gauge was a v8 only gauge. I have ran all new wiring to the gauge. it is a faria oem bayliner gauge. The big square style. Don't see a model number. I can plug my aftermarket tach from my truck in and it reads correctly so not a wiring issue.