1993 OMC Cobra 5.0L, acceleration problems

jcartne

Recruit
New here, just bought a boat, and don't know much about boats. Speak to me like you'd speak to someone who doesn't know anything about boat engines. :) I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer. This site is really helpful from what I've read.

Specs on boat:
1993 Horizon 190 Four Winns
OMC Cobra 5.0L
4 barrell carburetor

Issues:
poor acceleration on start-up
boat stalls if throttle quickly engaged - thus difficulty pulling a slalom up outta the water
if throttle is engaged slowly, it does fine - but drowns the skier
boat runs at idle, but sounds sluggish
does not smoke when started

History:
I don't know the history on the boat or its engine maintenance. The dealer I bought it from said everything checked out okay (including alternator and battery putting out charge) and the oil was changed at the end of last season (2011). I got a deal on it, but half the gages dont work (including tach which may be important for diagnosis), would not start the first time out (battery), bilge does not work, several cosmetic issues including rotten floor, and I broke an alternator pulley belt 3rd time out. I bought a new battery, have replaced the floor (still need new carpet if anyone has suggestions) and everything seems to be working well except the acceleration issue. Of course being an anxious new boat owner and a self-diagnosed cheapskate, I didnt want to spend money on a tune up if one was not needed (I know that may be stupid and the first thing when buying a used engine is to perform one).

The first time out on the water I put twice the recommended dosage of Lucas fuel injector cleaner before filling up with 87 octane with 10% ethanol. Noticed the sluggishness problem. I've filled up twice since then. The second time I used 87 octane with Stabil ethanol stabilizer. Same sluggish problem. The third time I used 93 octane (but boat had 1/3 tank of 87 left from last run) with Stabil ethanol stabilizer. Same sluggish problem.

Potential Diagnosis:
1. From things I've read online, I thought it might first be the fuel/water separator. I pulled that off and poured into a container - a very, very minute amount of debris in the bottom, but absolutely no water in there. The filter looks pristine. First question - should I get a new one or just put this one back on? If I put it back on should I fill it up with gas first? Anything else I should do? I have all metal fittings and lines coming off it, so it doesnt look like there is anywhere to prime gas back into the engine (is that needed?).
2. Spark Plugs bad?
3. Carb problem - clogged flame arrestor? bad accelerator pump?
4. Fuel pump problem?
5. Circuit breaker for fuel pump bad?

Of these 5 things, what should I check and in what order? Also for all of them - the only thing I think I can easily figure out is the spark plugs - how do I look for the other problems? (remember to talk to me like I'm an idiot).

Thanks for any help!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 OMC Cobra 5.0L, acceleration problems

if throttle is engaged slowly, it does fine - but drowns the skier

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

The above symptom is frequently due to a defective accelerator pump in the carburetor.

Aside from inspecting/replacing the fuel filter(which you should every year), dist cap, rotor, plugs and checking timing etc..... and ensuring the fuel delivery system is working properly. A "bad" accelerator pump will cause what you describe.

After you replace the filter and ensure that you do in fact have fuel pressure at the carb (fuel pump working) and the choke is not stuck, you might look to the carb itself.

Regards,

Rick

cr2k

Captain

Pull the flame arrester with the engine OFF look down the carb throat while someone pumps the throttle. You should see 2 streams of fuel shooting down the primary openings. This is the accelerator pump. It is there to add gas as you advance the throttle. If this is not happening what you are describing will happen. If this is the case time to have the carb rebuilt.

jcartne

Recruit

thanks for the advice guys.

my plan is to first replace the fuel filter because i dont know when it was last done (although it looked okay). I'll try that out this weekend. If it still does it, I'll replace the plugs for the following weekend since I also dont know when they were last replaced. If it still does it, I think I'll take it to a shop to rebuild the carb. I only got one quote so far, but he said he could do it for $200. I dont want to fool with the carb since I dont know much about them.

does anyone have the part numbers for the plugs and carb kit for this boat?

jcartne

Recruit

Pull the flame arrester with the engine OFF look down the carb throat while someone pumps the throttle. You should see 2 streams of fuel shooting down the primary openings. This is the accelerator pump. It is there to add gas as you advance the throttle. If this is not happening what you are describing will happen. If this is the case time to have the carb rebuilt.

yea - so i did this last night and saw no streams of fuel.

I saw 4 ports that rotated as i throttle pumped - presumably because i have a 4 barrell carb? does that mean i should have seen 4 streams flowing?

any case...i'm gonna research the carb kit i need and may try it myself. we'll see.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

No -- a four barrel carb runs on the front two barrels at slow and cruise speeds so you see two streams for those two barrels. The secondaries open under high power demand. Do not simply replace things because you "think" that might be the problem. That gets to be an expensive way to troubleshoot. You now know you have a bad accelerator pump. I can also tell this is not a job you should tackle, especially if it is a four barrel. Rochester 2 barrel you can do in ones sleep. As for spark plugs you can simply remove them and look at tham. If they are nice light to medium tan and the electrodes are not worn down to the nubs, gap them and re-install. if they are junk -- THEN replace them. "Inspect" the distributor cap. If the inside shows issues - THEN replace it. Fuel pump pressure can be checked with a standard pressure/vacuum gauge. If pressure is low THEN replace the pump. Circuit breakers are on/off devices that control electrical stuff. If the breaker (which ever one you are thinking about) is tripped, whatever it controls won't work. Obviously a circuit breaker is not the problem with the engine as the engine wouldn't run at all.

Now on to gauges. Use the search feature in the ELECTRICAL/TROLLING MOTOR/AUDIO forum to find out how to troubleshoot gauges. That situation is covered at least 100 times in various forms. Gauges Don't Work or similar words will turn up the threads.

jcartne

Recruit

thanks for the advice and quick response.

i will plan to check all you mention. i was going to look at the distributor cap and spark plugs before getting a carb kit. i already check circuits in the boat and saw no problems. will check again. dont have a gage for the fuel pump - if i got one how do you check it? i'm not gonna worry about the gages til this fall after the ski season is over.

while you were typing your post, I was on the phone with Holley. Apparently i do have 2 barrel carb....not 4.

part no on carb is

List 80382-1

6R 3250 B

I found this online
http://www.marinepartssource.com/ne...category=Carburetor Rebuild Kits&mfgno=703-49

is this all i need to rebuild the carb/fix my accelerator pump problem? or is the accelerator pump a different issue and this product will not fix it?

thanks again for the continued help!

also - still need to put the fuel/water separator back on my boat. i had mentioned it looked pristine. should i just put it back on or go ahead and buy a new one? when i put it back on, is the only thing i need to do is fill it up with gas? i see nowhere to prime it.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If its a screw on type (canister) fuel water separator get a new one. Dumping it upside down has moved the contaminants to the wrong side of the element.

jcartne

Recruit

checked the distributor cap tonight. everything looked fine. put a new fuel separator on it as well. got a new floor in it for tomorrow as well.

next up is to check the plugs and then the carb rebuild and then i'll pull the bilge cause it doesnt work either. dont really mind working on the boat - so much easier to get to stuff compared to vehicles. just gotta learn as i go. thanks for the continued advice again.....any comments on the bilge? i flip the switch and nothing happens. it may be clogged cause there was lots o gunk down there when i got the boat, but if it was just clogged i would think i'd at least hear something when i flipped the switch other than dead silence. i'll re-check the fuses first. forgot to do that tonite.