OMC Cobra 5.0L Ford Bogs down in gear on acceleration

Jono69

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good afternoon guys. Having yet another problem with my engine. 1993 OMC 5.0L HO Ford (502APRJVB) Just got the engine put back together after a water intrusion problem that I corrected. Starts up, idles great, sounds good, will rev up to 4800 rpms in neutral, shifts great. Finally got her into the water for the first time Saturday, pulled away from the dock no problem. Finally got out of the no wake zone and advanced the throttle. It wouldn't go much above 2200 rpms and was bogging down and didn't sound very good to me. I was maybe getting 5-8 mph at full throttle advancement and 2200. Tried multiple times with no luck. Still would rev all the way in neutral. What do you think this could be? I don't see anything wrong. I will note that my oil-pressure sender is not wired up because I had to cut the wire due to the ring connector being permanently attached to the sender somehow. Also my temp gauge is not functioning after the rebuild and haven't checked that out yet. Don't know if those things could be related or not on this thing.
Thank you in advance or any advice here.
Jon

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Cobra 5.0L Ford Bogs down in gear on acceleration

It could be any number of things. I'll give you a bump and you should read the "Adults Only" thread on this forum. Specifically the "why the hell wont my hole get to proper RPM part.

Is the boat "tuned". Is it getting enough fuel? Is it timed correctly?

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Cobra 5.0L Ford Bogs down in gear on acceleration

I would hook the oil PSI and the temp gauges back up first. Then I would go through the adults only thread mentioned above and check everything. Fuel system, ignition system, everything.

Are you positive that no water got into your fuel tank during your "water intrusion" problem?