To sell the boat or part it out - OMC 3.8l Stringer value

Big_Eddy

Cadet
After the promised several sessions of tubing with the kids, I put my new to me boat up for sale and of course, there are lots of low ballers want to take it off my hands for the value of the fuel in the tank.

So I got to thinking. Am I better off to part it out and sell the pieces to deserving folks who are looking for scarce parts to keep their boats running, or just sell the boat to some newbie who might just tear it up anyway?

It's a mid 80's 18' bowrider with OMC 3.8l with stringer rear end. The engine has ~350 hours on it, good compression and runs well. Lower units is good (has a minor chunk out of the skeg) and no evidence of clunking or other issues. Tilt works, trim works but leaks down again.

Boat is 3/10 so not adding a whole lot of value.

What would the engine and stringer unit be worth out of the boat, complete with cables, shifter, steering and anything else?

Thanks

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer
Re: To sell the boat or part it out - OMC 3.8l Stringer value

That depends on how much time you are willing to take to completely tear it apart, clean every piece up and then sell them individually. Also, if you choose to sell through Ebay or some other online site where you would have to ship, would you be willing to go through with the creation of the adds, possible buyer disputes and packing/shipping?

I suggest you take a look at what various components are selling for on Ebay to see if the money you would make, should you part it out, be worth the effort. I am in the same situation you are with my old OMC setup. One day I will have to decide to let her go and I know that I will be parting her out. No one is looking to pay good money for a boat with an OMC setup but my individual parts do command a premium out there.