1983 omc 2.5l won't start no spark

bonniesouth

Cadet
Hello,
Let me say that I have learned more about a points ignition system than I ever wanted to know. For starters I bought the boat a month ago. First time out, overheated engine complete with smoke. Towed to marine repair...new water pump. The guy says it cranked and ran beautifully. Took it to the landing..and nothing. He says bad battery.Ha Ha.

Read the sticky on ignition systems and went through the checklist with volt meter, omc manual and alot of patience. Found a starter issue and replaced it. Now it turns over but no fire. Checked the fuses(2 50a), checked the wiring(including the wire harness, cleaned contacts and all that. Found that there was plenty of juice coming entering the coil, but none leaving the coi(positive terminal on top) going to the distributor cap. The negative wire going to the condensor/points is making a white spark when the points are pulsing, but no spark from the positive wire or from the terminal itself. I tried the spark test, and nothing. Replaced the coil. No spark. So I read a post about the points. They look grey, they are not shiny silver looking and one is thicker than the other. They are pulsing and there is a bright white spark between them. But still no spark to the plugs. Curious how the neutral safety switch may come into play. once again...power into coil is good, negative into the distributor is ok i guess but no power from the positive terminal to the distributor. P.S I am a girl with alot of ambition a high IQ but not any experience.

JON NEELEY

Seaman
Re: 1983 omc 2.5l won't start no spark

Are you saying you have "no spark" to the plugs because it wont start even though you have seen the points spark?

bonniesouth

Cadet

Are you saying you have "no spark" to the plugs because it wont start even though you have seen the points spark?

No spark coming from the coil positive terminal(post) that goes to the distributor cap(the center plug). When I check the points while cranking, they open and close and have a white spark between them. Weird

bonniesouth

Cadet

Ok. There was a connector switch in the neutral shifter mechanism that was iffy. So I fixed the problem(bent prong in the connectors) and now I have a spark..but no start still. Hmmmmmmm Spark plugs spark. Maybe the points need to be adjusted as I took them out to try to match up a part to get some new ones as a general maintenance tune thing...and a new condensor too.

bonniesouth

Cadet

Okay here is an update. I fixed a connection with the neutral shifter mechanism and then i lost voltage at the battery side of the coil. Still no start but there is a spark. No enough volts to push, so i jumped a wire from the battery terminal straight to the battery side of the coil. Nothing....this should work right. Opened the breather in the carb and the butterflies are closed opened them halfway and tried again.....vvvvrrroooooommmm!!! Unbelieveable. The choke seemed to be stacking a little but it was cold. I still have a voltage issue somewhere between the solenoid and the coil, but i did get her running. At least i know that it is possible