1985 omc stringer shifter cable install

Status
Not open for further replies.

whywhyzed

Banned
Re: 1985 omc stringer shifter cable install

The small puck runs UNDER the idler pulley...<br /><br />The procedure in the manual is approx. 2000 words and has 4 or 5 diagrams... I'm a slow typer..I would buy a manual before attempting that procedure.

pg welding

Recruit

i have a manual. i rebuilt the upper and lower and have a clue but this one is kicking my but

DHPMARINE

Captain

Wow,I haven't done one of those in years.Now won't even work on them.BUT I do remember having to re-read that manual many times to understand what it was telling me.<br /><br />I think the main problem I had was after the pucks were in the spools,having the 'rack' in the right position when engaging the cable and cover.<br /><br />Do you have to remove a spool to install the cables ? I don't think so,but I used to have a tool (home built) to do that.Probably to reseal the shaft the spool was on.It's been a while.<br /><br />DHP

pg welding

Recruit

thats it my problem (is) setting up the rack in the right position. There must be a trick i just can't get it to work right

DHPMARINE

Captain

I thought someone else whould jump in,but it hasn't happened.<br /><br />OK ...... can you pull the rack up and engage forward?<br /><br />Now set the cover AND cables over it,and bolt the cover down.This may set everything into neutral, and you'll be okay.The rack has to move down as the cover gets bolted down.<br /><br />DHP

T_I_M

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you have to remove a spool to install the cables ?
Yes you do,and after you remove it ( yes there is a special tool )and install the new cable you have to twist it 180'.I don't have the manual here but I will look at it tomorrow and reply .I've done a few of those and they still catch me .

KaGee

Admiral

DHP,<br /><br />I sent him copies of the OMC manual. Haven't heard back from him.

blacknite30

Cadet

Hello,
Can you please e-mail a copy of those instructions too.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.