1994 Four Winns - Suddenly Not getting fuel to Carb

Geiber

Cadet
We (Shared by our Family) have a 94 Four Winns Freedom 17ft with a CHevy 3.9 & OMC drive.
My brother had it out Saturday just had it running 5 mins when while at about 3/4 throttle it shut off. Turned over but would not start. Had to tow back to dock it.
It has run well so far this summer with out any performance issues so it went from running great to nothing while running strong.
I went to check it tonight Sunday and still will not start. There is no fuel getting to carb. It fired momentarily after starting fluid was used but just for a moment then stalled. If it were a car I would be pretty sure it was a fuel pump. But I looked through many posts here and can see there are a number of other possibilities. Before I trailer it and have it looked at I thought I would ask here.
Wouldn't this all to nothing shift point to a fuel pump rather than a filter etc.? I am thinking that a clogged filter would have shown performance issues before this happened. Is there an easy way to check the fuel pump while eliminating the other parts of the fuel system?
If it were a fuel pump (and I could be sure) I would put a new one in myself...
Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1994 Four Winns - Suddenly Not getting fuel to Carb

Possibilities include the filter and pump, as you've suggested. Also consider the pickup in the fuel tank; it may be clogged or broken. I've heard of cases where the pickup tube in the tank broke off and the remaining end was above the fuel level.

How did you test for fuel to the carb?

BTW, this isn't really a Four Winns issue; it's a OMC drive/engine issue. You may want to consider posting in that forum or have a moderator move this thread to there.

Geiber

Cadet

Possibilities include the filter and pump, as you've suggested. Also consider the pickup in the fuel tank; it may be clogged or broken. I've heard of cases where the pickup tube in the tank broke off and the remaining end was above the fuel level.

How did you test for fuel to the carb?

BTW, this isn't really a Four Winns issue; it's a OMC drive/engine issue. You may want to consider posting in that forum or have a moderator move this thread to there.

When I write "tested" for fuel to the carb it was pretty rudimentary. I just removed the air filter exposing the carb & turned it over multiple times. Then with a little starting fluid it fired up for a second or two and stalled. I didn't see or smell any signs of fuel getting to the carb. So it wasn't much of a test but a quick check.

I will see if I can get this moved to the other forum.
Thanks

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I write "tested" for fuel to the carb it was pretty rudimentary. I just removed the air filter exposing the carb & turned it over multiple times. Then with a little starting fluid it fired up for a second or two and stalled. I didn't see or smell any signs of fuel getting to the carb. So it wasn't much of a test but a quick check.

I will see if I can get this moved to the other forum.
Thanks

OK, so you need to REALLY test for fuel getting to the carb.

Disconnect the fuel line from the carb. There may be a small fuel filter there which could be part of your problem. Arrange the fuel line so it discharges into a container, maybe a quart size. You might need a short length of rubber hose to do this if your fuel line is rigid. Crank the engine briefly and see if fuel is going into the container. Then you'll know if fuel is getting to the carb.

Be careful not to spill the fuel!

rickryder

Commander

DB is correct check at the carb to see if the pump is pumping. If you have no fuel coming from the line follow it to the pump....Do you have a water /fuel filter?Has it been changed recently? Is the pump electric or mechanical?

If you have fuel at the line at the carb you might have a stuck float in the carb or a blockage in the carb.

Geiber

Cadet

DB is correct check at the carb to see if the pump is pumping. If you have no fuel coming from the line follow it to the pump....Do you have a water /fuel filter?Has it been changed recently? Is the pump electric or mechanical?

If you have fuel at the line at the carb you might have a stuck float in the carb or a blockage in the carb.

There is a Fuel/water separator that has not been changed in a while. I took it off and it was full of fuel. I will replace that just in case. If that were the problem would it die so suddenly?
The fuel pump is electric I am pretty sure. It looks like this.
18-7326_thumb.jpg
Last night I exposed the fuel tank & found a couple of mouse nests on top of the tank & a dead mouse. It didn't look like they chewed any lines from what I could tell. But I disconnected the vent hose & made sure it was open. I also disconnected the hose feeding the carb (at the tank) and noticed that no fuel was in the line at all. I thought that it would have had fuel in it if a filter had been causing a blockage.
I will try disconnecting the fuel line at the carb & see what I get.
Thanks for all your help

indybleck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had the same problem with mine after I got it out this spring, ended up being filters, changed the water separator and the one in the carb I got rid of the paper one and replaced it with one from West Marine all it really is a screen. I put some Star Tron in the tank and not she runs like the wind. You would be surprised what the filters will do to your fuel supply. Mine was from ethanol and water is made a gummy stuff in the tank the Star Tron broke it up and now I'm good to go. Seeing a lot more posts and I'm thinking its got to be the fuel, a lot of people having the same problems.

Geiber

Cadet

Well I did as you suggested. With the fuel line disconnected at the carb there was no fuel discharged while it turned over. I looked checked to be sure I was getting power to the fuel pump and there was. However the electrical connection to the fuel pump was loose and a bit corroded. I am guessing that is suppose to be snug to the pump. I believe that is the original pump from 94 so I am going to replace it along with the Fuel/water filter. Also once I got the pump off I checked the line going into the tank and it was clear & pulling gas. So hopefully with a new pump she will run again.
Part arrives Friday

Geiber

Cadet

The new pump & filter are on and it's running like champ again.
Thanks for all your help