OMC 5.0L Ford Block compatibility question

Jono69

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Quick question guys. As per my last few posts, my OMC 5.0L Ford 302 block has a hairline crack. I have been having a debate with some people regarding block replacement. As far as I know, when it comes to just the shortblock itself, it can be replaced with a Ford 302 5.0 auto engine. Is this correct? I realize the cam and block plugs needs to be changed, and the rest of the marine accessories will need to be added. But when it comes to the block itself, are they interchangable?? Were the original OMC blocks straight up Ford blocks? Or were they special cast and reinforced?
Thanks as always. Jon

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC 5.0L Ford Block compatibility question

Quick question guys. As per my last few posts, my OMC 5.0L Ford 302 block has a hairline crack. I have been having a debate with some people regarding block replacement. As far as I know, when it comes to just the shortblock itself, it can be replaced with a Ford 302 5.0 auto engine. Is this correct? I realize the cam and block plugs needs to be changed, and the rest of the marine accessories will need to be added. But when it comes to the block itself, are they interchangable?? Were the original OMC blocks straight up Ford blocks? Or were they special cast and reinforced?
Thanks as always. Jon

Ayuh,... I'm Sure yer Right, just like with the Chevy motors used.....

What I don't know is the various changes throughout the vintages of the 302/ 351s...

If it came outa a pickup, I wouldn't worry 'bout the Cam,... just swap the core plugs...