Changing Bellows on 1988 OMC Cobra

indybleck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thinking I might have to change at least the u joint bellows how hard is it? I've never done a OMC and after looking at my cheapo manual it looks kinda involved. Called the marina that still works on OMC's and a ball park figure quoted was $300 for the u joint bellows and around $500 for all three. Seems kinda high to me but that's me. Would like any help.

Thanks

cr2k

Captain
Re: Changing Bellows on 1988 OMC Cobra

That's about right for the job. The drive needs to come off. Cobra drives are heavy and can be stubborn to pull and replace.
If you are super experienced and do no more than the bellows and have no problems 30-45 min. is doable. Shop time, flat rate, is 2.5 hours. It should include greasing the u-joints, coupler splines and alignment as needed.
It is still a fairly straight forward DIY project. Give your self 1/2 a day.

indybleck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Changing Bellows on 1988 OMC Cobra

Thanks I need to follow my own advise sometimes and search the threads for more info. I've done mercury's before, this is the first OMC I've owned and I've heard some stuff on OMC's are easier to work on than the Merc's. Looks like pull the drive then maybe take the nut off the water inlet and pull the swivel bracket out for more room. Maybe I'll take a stab at it, I'm not sure that is the problem yet but just in case it is I want to have my stuff together and get it done.