400 Shift issues, asking before I tear into it

Mousejockey

Seaman Apprentice
Asking 1st so I dont attempt to solve major problem instead of fixing a simple issue.
1982 Beachcraft OMC 3.0L 400 (SS? Stinger?) drive
Currently having an issue with having to move the throttle farther back (2/3) to get reverse to engage, throttle is up around 1500/2k when it engages. It seems to be an evolving issue, each time it has had to travel farther to catch. I quickly throttled down when The RPM was up and diddnt attempt reverse after that. I have been working on fuel/no start issues up till now and belive those gremlins are tamed (have a feeling 'solving' them will be an issue for a possible complete rebuild).

When I 1st got the boat and hit the water with it I had no propultion, F or R. Took it to the shop and was told it was the water pump shaft, gears stripped. (Would work in a bucket test but not under a load). Paid 1,500 for the shaft, gears, bearings, boot and all was well untill about a year ago when the rev issue 1st showed up and has progressed.

Does this sound like a simple adj? ( I will try this soon, currently waiting on a tilt motor and resealing the tilt clutch housing)

I also would like to ask a Q on the drives, I have seen various motors listed, but there appears to be only 1 drive for a listed year? Was the 400 also used on V6 or V8 motors? I ask because in a convo with the mech about motors he said the drive was the weak link and adding HP to the motor would only destroy the drive.