What do I do next? Sterndrive 5.0L omc cobra/volvo penta

drewonline

Cadet
I have 1996 bayliner 190 horizon dlx. It has a omc/cobra/volvo penta motor 5.0L efi (ford) 302ci. 50FAPNCA. I cant seem to get any spark and i do not hear the fuel pump run either. It turns over fine. So yes it cranks but i see a fuel bulb on a fuel line that looks empty and have tested the spark and am getting nothing to the distributer. I found 4 breakers on the motor and a fuse near the battery and they all seem either not tripped or not blown. Kill switch near the throttle has its clip in place. I looked under the dash and found fuses for things like lights, bilge, blowers, horn and such - all fine.

Is there something simple I might be missing? I am considering buying a code reader to find out what that says ($214. yipes!) but am trying to exhuast all other efforts first. Any suggestions.?

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What do I do next? Sterndrive 5.0L omc cobra/volvo penta

I have 1996 bayliner 190 horizon dlx. It has a omc/cobra/volvo penta motor 5.0L efi (ford) 302ci. 50FAPNCA. I cant seem to get any spark and i do not hear the fuel pump run either. It turns over fine. So yes it cranks but i see a fuel bulb on a fuel line that looks empty and have tested the spark and am getting nothing to the distributer. I found 4 breakers on the motor and a fuse near the battery and they all seem either not tripped or not blown. Kill switch near the throttle has its clip in place. I looked under the dash and found fuses for things like lights, bilge, blowers, horn and such - all fine.

Is there something simple I might be missing? I am considering buying a code reader to find out what that says ($214. yipes!) but am trying to exhuast all other efforts first. Any suggestions.?

Pretty sure any auto parts store will pull the codes for you. You have any pics of the boat/drive/engine?

drewonline

Cadet

No pics yet, but is there something else I can tell you about it?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

So yes it cranks but i see a fuel bulb on a fuel line that looks empty and have tested the spark and am getting nothing to the distributer.

Howdy,

Someone may have modified your fuel system. I don't think there's ANY clear fuel "bulbs" that are supposed to be installed in any sterndrive.

Your model number includes 2 fuel pumps. A low pressure and high pressure pump.

You can find the model number and parts numbers for your engine/drive combo at epc.brp.com/ Just click "View Parts Catalogs" (you don't have to put in your email address)

The ECM controls those pumps so it could be faulty.

You better hope it isn't. They not only have a retail price of about $1250 but they're also considered "Obsolete" .

I don't know where you would find one.

Pretty sure any auto parts store will pull the codes for you. You have any pics of the boat/drive/engine?
I don't think an automotive code reader will work on any marine ECM.

A lot of people just replace the entire fuel system with a carburetor when the ECM fails.

Sorry about that.

Rick

drewonline

Cadet

Thanks rick, Yeah I may not have expressed that well enough. It's not clear or really a bulb. it is a white tubular part in the fuel line that leads to a component on the top of the motor near what looks like what might be a computer of sorts. almost looks like a filter but not really. I don't know what it is. very new to inboards and especially anything after the 80's with all the electrical components.

That all sounds like a pisser. Any idea why no spark? Would that have something to do with the ECM too? thanks.

What is that electronic control module?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The ECM controls the Electronic fuel injection and the ignition.

This might be a good time to obtain an OMC service manual for your model engine and drive...